wine yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy1971

Regular.
Reaction score
As we are new to wine and cider making would just like to know if youngs wine yeast super compund is ok for cider we will be making 2 gallons tomorrow and dont want a cock up

Thanks

It'll be fine. It'll taste slightly different to if you used a cider yeast, that's all.
With turbociders, quite a lot of people like to use a champagne yeast, especially if adding sugar to make it STRONG.
My own turbocoder experiments suggest Gervin D wine yeast gives better results than Young's cider yeast, but that's probably only coz I use Lidl apple juice.

Do one with the cider yeast and one with the wine yeast. I think the S04 is the least suitable of the 3. Keep everything else the same and you'll get to compare the two yeasts.
Real apples, or juice?

I use wine yeast compound a fair bit and it's always been fine for me, I have started adding cider yeast to my cider of its over 15 Litres but for single DJs I just add the compond :cheers:

wendy1971 said:
its juice from aldi made some with that juice last december just started drinking it now and it is very good just not sweet enough

How on earth do you manage to keep it 10 months?
I like my cider dry, but the experts seem to suggest the easiest way to get a sweet/ish one is to add Splenda or serve over a little juice: stopping fermentation before all the sugar's gone is too tedious.

dont know it was december last year when it was made. We just poured the juice in to djs added 200 g sugar and then yeast. Racked it into 2 litre lemonade bottles and its been in the spare bedroom since

Latest posts

Back