Wine stabaliser help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otuatail

Reaction score
Hi I am trying to make wine from a kit. My supplier has run down his old stock. I am trying one called Doc’s original. Dosn’t look impressive. I added 1kg sugar to it. It is nearly 4 weeks and there is a slight fermentation. Just the occasion bubble or 2. It has been like this for days now. I wanted to clear it and hopefully have it clear in time for Christmas.
I have a heater in it and seems to be around 22C. Is there any way I can put a stop to this very small out of fermentation. If I remove the heater it will be cooler and probably stop. But is that OK? The kit has a Stabiliser with E202, E224 written on it. I also have a quantity of sodium metabisulphite. But can I add any of this and how much. Should this be administered firs?
I have been looking for Potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate which is supposed to be better. Maybe a UK chemist could sell this un-branded.

What is the current hydrometer reading?

Hi, by the way.

Matt

E202 is potassium sorbate
E224 is sodium metbisulphite
(Google, about 10 seconds)
So you have what you need.
Add them together. The amount supplied should be right for the kit.

Hi just checked SG 996. I am not using an air lock but I know there would not be enough bubbles to push the water around the air lock. But shine a light on the surface there is still a small few. I have been regularly stirring it to make shure the sediment is not getting in the way. I would like totally no bubbles. The reason for not using the airlock is that I have a heater inside a large wine brewing barrel and the lid doesn't fit. But it is well covered.

What temperature for the stabiliser and finings. Can I leave the heater out. Storage is supposed to be around 10-15C

What are you using as a fermenting vessel?
Why are you not using an airlock?
Regular stirring is not necessary it will do more harm than good.

Latest posts

Back