Will the sediment compact?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnell88

Reaction score
I bottled my brew buddy cider 7 days ago, but did it when the hydrometer was 1.002, and didn't do the 2 day consistency test to check it had finished fermenting as I had to go home.

I tried a bottle 2 days ago, and it is very fizzy. It doesn't explode out the bottle, but I go a lot of bubbles coming to the surface. Also, it wasted half the bottle as when I poured the sediment came along the bottle relatively quickly. I have done two batches previously and never had a problem.

I picked up a bottle now, 7 days bottled, and just picking it up I could see some sediment mingling into the cider.

Is it because I only left it 4 days in the bottle lol?
Will the sediment compact more?
Is it a common problem that when it is too fizzy, not enough to over flow, but bubbles vigorously mix the sediment with the brew?

Thanks

I hope I havent wasted a batch.. :hmm:

Hello there,

Fizziness shouldn't be a big problem unless its fizzing out of the bottle in which case it will definitely mix up the sediment.

The sediment should become more stable the longer its left so perhaps leave it for another wee somewhere cool and see if this helps. I know its not easy to leave it!

Latest posts

Back