Why you shouldn't rush.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zedilly

Regular.
Reaction score
Being a relative newbie and being impatient the last few TC's I have done have been somewhat rushed. I have let them ferment and then bottled them as soon as they have finished, primed and conditioned for the absolute minimum time, then drunk them and thought they were ok........until tonight.

So what happened tonight which has changed my thoughts you might ask?

I have just bottled a gallon of TC which has been in the dj for 17 days and had dropped fantastically clear even in the relative warmth of the kitchen (where it was fermented). I obviously had to try a drop for research purposes too and my oh my what a difference an extra 10 days in the dj makes. It was soooooo much smoother with no harshness whatsoever, no yeasty taste and only the slightest yeast aroma and it tasted like a good quality cider, although it was obviously flat.

These have now been bottled with a teaspoon of sugar per 500ml and WILL be left as long as possible so I can get the full benefit of it.

So will I rush any of my future (and currently fermenting) brews? No definitely not, I'd rather wait the extra time and have something really nice, and buy something from the offy in the meantime than drink something which is acceptable but just ok. :cheers:

viewtopic.php?t=34593

;)

You have just taken the first step to joining the slow drink movement. Cider timescales are positively glacial. That one has another four months to go before bottling...

Back