Why do you brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderJoe

Reaction score
I brew cause I can't afford spending money buying alcohol anymore. It's very expensive here in Norway. Will start brewing beer again soon. The supermarked beers that cost between 2.1GBP and 3GBP for a pint mostly suck. At least those who are sold in the shop nearest me. Really good beer is only found at the vinmonopol, state regulated shop for alcohol, but beer there is VERY expensive.

I brew because I was fed up with the Sh*te I was getting from supermarkets, and because I have an inquisitive mind and wanted to accomplish something. :thumb:

I tend to brew beers that I cannot/are very hard to buy, ie. the more unusual ones...

I brew because it saves me around £25 per week. I think I spent around £400 on equipment, after 16 weeks I was making money. I'm also a vegie and who knows what they put in that shop ****. some use beef gelatine, or is it animal derived glysorol, for finings? They don't have to declare it on packaging.

I brew cos I enjoy it and get take pride when I can hand out beer I have made!! :party:

Mark1964 said:
we brew because we like it and its cheaper than pub ale. Also experimenting with different ingredients and real beers

Sometimes its not cheaper if youre brewing some hoppy ipa like i brew all the time i brew personally because i love to do it but also i can make better beer than the brewers can and also beer that i actually like. :cheers:

I wanted to learn as I reckon that a minimum pricing for alcohol is going to come in before too long. If the price of a value product is going to rise then the nicer ones will go up too.

I enjoy the fact that its cheap booze and the satisfaction of doing your own brew but I also like to acquire skills that many don't feel important.

Originally, I was young and it was cost worthy and hilarious.

Now, I don't drink a whole lot so it's all about quality and potential to make what the hell I want. More of a hobby than a direct route to alcohol :cheers:

For fun mainly, and its nice to have a stock of drink should anyone want it when they visit

I brew because it saves me money on beer, but there's much more to it than that, it's like when you grow a patch full of totties and they taste great or when you build a shed from unwanted wood, or catch a monster fish that's probably never been caught before, it all gives you a sense of fulfilment and you know youve achieved something that most people wouldn't have the talent or patient to do, and I like getting ******.

alawlor66430 said:
I brew because it saves me money on beer, but there's much more to it than that, it's like when you grow a patch full of totties and they taste great or when you build a shed from unwanted wood, or catch a monster fish that's probably never been caught before, it all gives you a sense of fulfilment and you know youve achieved something that most people wouldn't have the talent or patient to do, and I like getting ******.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Same here. It's one thing to know you've made something that brings you satisfaction, it's even better to know you've made 40+ pints of it for less than the cost of 12 cans of tramp ****!

I started initially out of sheer curiosity - just wanted to try it.

That taught me that I liked brewing, then I went AG and discovered I enjoyed both the brewing process, and the resulting product, even more :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I justify it to SWMBO on the grounds of cost savings, but really I don't care about that - it's a hobby that I really enjoy :drink: :drink: :drink:

I started brewing again out here because i kept seeing tons of fruit going to waste every year and knew i needed to do something with it. Then read up on all things AG and decided i can do that here too - no LHBS so had to import yeasties and hops etc.
But built all my own gear and malt my own barley so gained loads of experience and knowledge and some decent beers to boot.
Plus as in all things turkish theres not alot of choice out here unless you want to pay a fiver for a pint of warm draught Guinness that has just hit the area this year.
........And my stuff is cheap to produce here too! :cheers: :thumb:

Its a hobby and a past-time, good fun too. Its been a very expensive one for me, as I had stopped drinking for over 15 yrs apart from a pint with a pie while out walking. So getting equipped and buying the kits costs me quite a bit of money that I would not have spent on beer. I brewed in my younger days ( wine mostly ) and my son earlier this year stated he would like to try his hand at it ( beer of course ) so I helped out.... :oops: sort of took over again...
Still he drinks it I make it were happy...
I now drink probably 4 or 5 bottles a week, mainly for quality control... but the beers I drink are more to my taste than all the commercial brews I have tried.

Latest posts

Back