White Labs Pure Pitch Viability %

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tomorrow I’ll be brewing using liquid yeast for the first time.. WLP013, one of the Pure Pitch packs.

I was planning to make a starter (though admit I’m now short on time!)

Started using an online calculator and wound up confused.com

Going on the QC report, this was manufactured around June 4th. Brewers friend gives it a 19% viability, but White Labs viability calculator puts it at 90% or so.

Cynic in me says this is manufacturer b0II0cks, but then I’m new to this so maybe there’s something in how they package it and how many cells they start with?
I’m only pitching in to 16 litres or so.. do I go with it direct in or a small starter recommended?

Trust the Whitelabs QC report.

It will give you cells per ml, then times that by the volume (70ml) to get your cell count.

Generally if you're using within 3 months of packaging a Whitelabs pure pitch pouch should be fine to directly pitch into a standard strength ale.

Trust the Whitelabs QC report.

It will give you cells per ml, then times that by the volume (70ml) to get your cell count.

Generally if you're using within 3 months of packaging a Whitelabs pure pitch pouch should be fine to directly pitch into a standard strength ale.

Lovely, that’ll do for me.
OG is only 1.043 and around 16 litres of wort, so think I’ll be more than fine 👍👍

Back