What you reading?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dieseljockey said:
snail59 said:
Darkbrewer said:
Awesome for the insight Snail. Colour of magic it is. Is there a timeline in the covers that let you know what to read next?

Yes there is. :thumb:

Well done..Snail..another convert :clap: :clap:
I would say to anyone if you want a laugh a minute read a Discworld novel....the "one-liners" are brill.
Who's your favorite character??...I think mine is.. Esmerelda Weatherwax, (aka "Granny") . :lol: :lol:

Tough one that there are so many good characters. Sam Vimes springs straight to mind Ankh Morpork's answer to Colombo :rofl: . Rincewind, Death, Nanny Ogg. (we had a moggy thou called Nanny reg containd OG :D ) I could (and probably will) go on :lol: :lol:

Don't think I only read Pratchett I'm also a big fan of Bernard Cornwell as well (not the Sharpe Books) Grail Quest (3 books), Saxon Stories (4 books), The Starbuck Chronicles (4 books)

T. Pratchett is only one of many authors..
When young I loved...Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Douglas Adams...The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Isaac Asimov..I Robot.
John Grisham.. for his legal thrillers.
Martina Cole ..she don't mess about.. :clap:
& on & on.

human race get off your knees ,the lion sleeps no more
david icke
powerful stuff !

Anything Prachett

I love all the discworld books but I have to say Nation is one of the best TP books.

P Pulmans Dark materials trilogy is cracking.

Also I have a soft spot for Biggles!

nice post dieseljocky.
Ive read all the Terry Prattchet disc world series, their brilliant.
Ive just finished Skullduggery Pleasant; Mortal Coil which is the 5th in Derek Landys highly successful Skullduggery Pleasant series. their aimed at a younger audience but their highly entertaining easy reading books. :thumb:
Just about to start Dean Koontz latest hb What The Night Knows.
And im also writing one of my own ;) although its taking a while :D

I'm right there with you, Ginger & Stevander! I've been reading all the Pratchett books I've been able to get in my grubby mitts and most of them have been brilliant. Crossbreeding "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" comes to mind. The man is clearly no fool, as he can incorporate a lot of political/social commentary in his books and still make them funny as heck. I've tried to read Pratchett in Finnish but the style does not translate well so I've been sticking with what I've been able to find at the local library. And I'm not the only one, as I count myself lucky if any of his books are there when I go to check.

Just finished "The Wizard of the Crow" by Ngugi wa Thiongo and started "Gender Trouble" by Judith Butler, which seems pretty damn academic and to be honest I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it... "Alligator Playground" by Alan Sillitoe will be the next after that. Reading = good.

Just finished the last of the Simon Scarrow novels about Wellington and Napoleon, a very good read. I have started "Empire of the Clouds" about the state of British aircraft research and development during the golden age of the early fifties. Very interesting and brings back childhood memories.
I am halfway through a biography of Tordenskjold, who was a sort of Norwegian Nelson, I'll get back to that after Empire of the Clouds.

great thread. must reply.

the last novel i read was a flashman book. if you havent read him yet then you should get to it. flashman, by george mcdonald fraser. read some.

i am reading plays at the moment. 'look back in anger' is a really boring conversation from what i an tell so far although i was amused by the line, 'you welsh ruffian' :mrgreen:

at bedtime im dipping into an old book (c1950's) on the history of beer.

i read pratchett like a deamon devourer for years and i still dip into his books now and then but havent read one through since i read hogfather to the kids at christmas.

small gods is my fave pratchett.

I'm currently wading through:

Principles Of Brewing Science - George J. Fix, and
Brewing - Lewis & Young

It's been 20 years or so since I've read text books like these......hard going at times :ugeek:

Dieseljockey said:
markp said:
I'm currently wading through:

Principles Of Brewing Science - George J. Fix, and
Brewing - Lewis & Young

Good?? worth the money? :thumb:

Yes, definately. PoBS wasn't badly priced to be honest, but Brewing did sting a bit.....I'm blaming Aleman for that though and his Amazon review :lol:
They are very 'science based', so it helps somewhat if you have studied science to any standard.
'Brewing' inparticular, looks a very well structured and detailed book.....and will probably become a much used reference.

"The Book of Bunny Suicides" and "The Return of Bunny Suicides" both by Andy Riley and both have very few words in them :thumb:

:lol: love the bunny suicides MD. Try Roasted, also by Andy Riley, about 3 coffee shop lackys :thumb:

Wow lots of Pratchett fans, I used to love getting his new book every Xmas, but I gave up a few years back, don't know if it was me or the stories :wha:
Might give them a go again after reading this thread, Fave has to be Wyrd sisters or Soul music. At my daughters 18th fancy dress party she came as Susan, even had a carboard blinky :D
My kids grew up on Pratchett stories, Truckers/Diggers/Wings trilogy (class), Carpet people and the Johnny books. I really enjoyed reading them too

My new read is The Road to McCarthy by Pete McCarthy.Very interesting and funny travelogue.(Charity Shops make great libraries)

Robert Jordan's The Great Hunt (Book 2 of The Wheel of Time).
He is/was a great storyteller.

Back