What will this be like?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairbrew

Reaction score
I set about brewing my first stout yesterday. This was the recipe I intended.
Pale malt 6.50kg
Amber malt 0.42kg
BROWN MALT 1.17kg
Chocolate pale malt 0.42kg
Special B 0.29kg
Black Malt 0,29kg
demarara sugar 0.25kg

Thought all had gone well, tho I expected it to be darker. After a boiler problem (see earlier post) I cooled the wort and got it in the Fv. I took a reading expecting something like the 1075 I was after and got 1052!!
I went back over everything and thats when I found the unopened bag of Brown Malt. I had taken a work call during putting it all together and completly missed it out :oops:
What will this beer turn out like , will it just be a dark ale? Will it be worth drinking?
My plan was to bottle and save till Christmas, would it be best just to stick most of it in a keg and do the stout recipe again, as I still have enough grain?
This is my #5 AG brew and first major bollock dropped :x

I am sure it will be fine 1052 will probably give you a beer in the mid 5% range, I would have thought it should be pretty stoutish or perhaps a little porterish. It should be perfect for Christmas :thumb:

By the way what was you hopping?

or did you leave them out as well :lol: :lol:

Ha Ha,
I did remember the hops,
50g Magnum 14.7 AA first wh
20g Challenger 7,1 AA first wh

The recipe was from BEER the camra mag. It was by Evin O'Riordan of the Kernal Brewery.

I dont feel so bad now, so will still bottle it and save till Christmas, cheers

Is this a magazine you can pick up in supermarkets or is it mail order?

I think you get it as part of CAMRA membership. I'm not sure though.

You can currently get the Summer 2012 issue as a pdf here

Barticus said:
Thanks for that.
No problems, 5 seconds with google.

fairbrew said:
I will let you know how it goes.
I agree entirely about the new home brew guy. I think it is a great read all round :clap:
Does that mean they've ditched the guy who suggested S04 to make a Saison? That can only be a good thing.

fairbrew said:
50g Magnum 14.7 AA first wh
20g Challenger 7,1 AA first wh
That is going to be pretty bitter with an OG of 1052. Qbrew makes that hopping 87 (tinseth) or 106 (rager) for a wort of 1052 assuming a 60 min boil. I believe first wort hopping is supposed to make the bitterness smoother, so maybe you'll be OK. How did it taste out of the trial jar?

Also your gravity seems pretty low - even taking out the brown malt and assuming an efficiency of 70 that recipe gets an OG 1080 predicted by Qbrew. I think efficiency tends to drop a bit for higher gravity beers but that still seems very low. Are you sure you didn't miss any other malt or make a measurement error with the pale? It is easy enough to do...

One the plus side if you have made some mystery mistake that means you'll never be able to replicate it, the beer will probably be awesome :)

Hope it turns out OK

BEER mag is part of Camra subscription.
Sure I didnt miss anything else, and it tasted fine. Will have to wait and see.
Been to the local beer fest earlier and had some cracking beers.
Highlights were
Revolutions brewing co- Clash 4.5% excellent london porter
Ellend brewery -Hoptopus 4.9% 8 hops, added every 5 mins, from Britain, America and New Zealand. A real hop bomb, tasted amazing.
Marble- Lagonda 5.0%- An old favorite, had to have it.
Finished with a
Summer Wine Brewery. -Diabolo 6.0% from the keg, probably get drummed out of CAMRA for saying this but, it takes some beating for an IPA, full of citra , excellent aroma and fruity bitter taste that lasts.
Will be back tmw to try some more

Hey all,
Glad you like the article(s) Please feel free to contact me on @phillowry on twitter, or email me via Phillowry(dot)net - if you have any suggestions, thoughts, Ideas, always good to hear.

Just want to make you aware of a little erratum and a bit of text that some how didn't make it to the article:

From Jeff R, of Lovibonds:

"What is an English Amber Ale, is it a style?
I brew an Amber Ale and some tips I have for brewing a low gravity Amber Ale.

* Use some Amber malt...but don't use too much. With this malt it is very easy to go over the top and have a grain based astringency bomb on your hands. The amounts needed also depend on the maltster...stay in the less than .5% of the grist unless you want it to overpower
* I like malt complexity in this beer and usually throw at it a low colour crystal as well as a darker version. I'm fond of Belgian aromatic malt and some of this really ups the malt profile
* You want this beer to finish dry, so make sure your yeast is healthy and given the best chance for success. You may also want to lean your water profile towards to sulphate side to accentuate the hops leaving a crisp bitter finish."

and, I am sure you'll notice that there is a decimal point missing " 0.5% black malt, the mag has translated that to 5% black," as some one emailed me this morning.

otherwise, I think that's it.

I hope you like the articles. If you have any recommendations, wants, "would love to know about... " please let me know. (@phillowry on twitter or message me by the site phillowry(dot)net) anyway, brew on!

Back