What bitter, larger and cider kits do people reccomend?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnell88

Reaction score
Im sure this has been asked before, but what bitter, larger and cider kits do people reccomend?

If it has been asked before could someone post a link to the thread, as this would be rater helpfull.

So far, I have tried...

Youngs harvest yorkshire bitter
Youngs definitive bitter
Coopers australian lagar
Brewbuddy cider

Thank you.

I was quite impressed with the EDME Bitter (Wilko £9.99 or thereabouts), I suppose the Young's Definitive is ok for under 25p a pint.

If you fancy something darker I would recommend Cooper's Dark Ale (£9.50 in my LHBS) and the EDME Stout is supposed to be one of the best.

I've never tried a Cider kit, I think the done thing around here is to lob some yeasties into a supermarket apple juice, which I will be doing later this evening.

As for larger kits, I think they all tend to be 40 pint.

I would recommend the EDME Stout and the Geordie Scottish Export, wilkinsons sell both kits for around the £10 mark.

Or if its something a bit stronger your after i would go for the Heart of England barley wine kit from Matchless Homebrew thats under £10 and a very nice drink.

As for the more expensive kit ive herd good reviews about Milestones Olde Home Wrecker its about 4.8 ABV cost about the £20 mark.

As for Cider i agree with Moley and would have a go at making yourself some Turbo Cider, all you need is supermarket concentraded Apple juice and yeast.

I'm bottling (at 12 days in a FV) Coopers Mexican brew tomorrow. It tastes a bit zingy, so I can only imagine when it's been carbonated & left it'll taste even better. Mine is a 5.2% brew, so for my first brew I'm very happy. This forum has helped me! :thumb:

well ive just done the wherry bitter kit , not really a bitter fan but it came with the kite i bought.

had it bottle for about two weeks nows, literally just this minute tried a bottle, never chilled it, poured it straight in a glass and tased, what can i say, very nice, still not my drink of choice but turned out alot better than i expected, and its FIZZY!!!!!

wasnt expecting it to as good as it turned out.

Also just done a magnum pear cider kit, very nice again, only been bottled a week, will only get better, but quite drinkable.

cant do any more big kits for a bit now, the staffys with pup , so just waiting for her to pop.

got some wines in the demi`s on the go, finished one other day , luverly jubberly!!

I second the EDME Stout.

I found Geordies kits were great for messing about with adding different sugars/spraymalts/malts to and adding hop teas to make your own flavor of beer! and the best thing is they are about £5 from Morrisons!!!

I have a Werry kit, Edme bitter, Edme Stout and Gordies Lager(prob going to be another dangaarden). instock waiting to be made, but I am onto allgrain so they are to oneside for when I don't have enough time to dedicate to making a allgrain beer.

Two things that I found that improved the kits were changing the yeast! (use somthing like Safe-ale or a Danstar yeast) its amazing what different yeasts do! and not using just sugar (using spraymalt/beer kit enhancer to give a fuller body)

As for the cider i've just made Turbo Ciders :twisted: from supermarket apple juice!

I am just getting back in to home brewing after 7/8 years and I have to say that the kits have improved enourmously since I was last brewing.

I used to use Ironmaster kits in the main - this is what my Dad used to brew, so I just went along with them.
And back in those days we'd never heard of spray malt; which as dandan said, can be used to greatly improve a brew along with a yeast upgrade.

My favourite kit at the moment is Muntons Gold IPA.

I appreciate the info on the EDME stout chaps......I've been looking for a stout to do and if I can't sort my **** out to make a boiler any time soon (for an extract stout), then I'll have a go at that.

I only do kits now, i dont have the time to do AG, besides, they all do the same job..lol...asd for kits, i tend to use the geordie kits from wilkos, along with the youngs ones, then from the homebrew shop in mansfield, i get a victorian bitter kit, which is very nice indeed, and i cant fault the coopers lager kits, especially the green tin..pils one, thats a cracker!!
As for the cider, i have ddone the brewmaster, and find it nice, i also have done a TC, and thats a winner in my book!!

Happy brewing matey!!
:cheers:

Edme Stout!

Tom Caxton's real ale has also won me many compliments, and is really easy to brew and not that hard to clear.

Back