What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benediktiner Hell

An interesting German lager, made by Bitburger but imported into the UK by Adnams.

Very easy drinking, misses the classic biscuit notes.

20241001_171723.jpg

Final @phildo79 beer in my stash.
It‘s exactly what it says on the tin bottle. Dark chocolate and hazelnut flavours in abundance. It’s a classic flavour combination in a top class beer. Great job mate, I really loved this. Best of luck sourcing a more politically sensitive hazelnut extract alternative 🇵🇸😂. I could drink the s41t out of this all day long.

IMG_3837.jpeg

Final @phildo79 beer in my stash.
It‘s exactly what it says on the tin bottle. Dark chocolate and hazelnut flavours in abundance. It’s a classic flavour combination in a top class beer. Great job mate, I really loved this. Best of luck sourcing a more politically sensitive hazelnut extract alternative 🇵🇸😂. I could drink the s41t out of this all day long.

View attachment 104413
Cheers, mate. Yes, I am very happy with the hazelnut brown recipe. Fingers crossed that substitute flavouring does it justice. As for the Gamma Ray, I should probably get a tin and do a side by side. Although it's possibly way off. Hoppy beers are so hard to clone. Thank you for the kind words. I'm having a Gamma Ray ATM but will be cracking open one of your beers next 👍

DSC_0004.JPG

First of the guest beers tonight, kindly dropped off by @Alastair70 and it is his Rye-ish Red Ale. Lovely, fluffy, white head. Nice hue for what you expect a rye ale to be. Can definitely get the rye in the aroma as well as the taste. Lovely, mellow, easy drinker. Would be more than happy if my local had this on draught. Another good brew, mate. Thanks for sharing 👍

DSC_0005.JPG

Might regret this in the morning but eff it! Second helping from @Alastair70 and it is his pseudo lager. Poured really well, with a nice, fluffy head. Definitely more carb than the rye ale. A similar kind of back taste though. Same yeast or same hop? Regardless, it's a really nice lager that you won't get in the shops, and that's the pity. It's full bodied, flavourful, has good mouthfeel and is interesting. I would pay to have this beer. Nuff said...cap dothed, sir.

@phildo79 Hope the heads ok today.
Both beers are user uppers, the first is one of my Irish Red recipes with a bit of chocolate rye substituted in. The other was a Kölsch recipe but fermented with Cali Lager yeast.
I was worried the under fill on the bottle might have allowed a bit of oxidation, lols like I got away with it.
Glad you enjoyed them🙏🏻

@phildo79 Hope the heads ok today.
Both beers are user uppers, the first is one of my Irish Red recipes with a bit of chocolate rye substituted in. The other was a Kölsch recipe but fermented with Cali Lager yeast.
I was worried the under fill on the bottle might have allowed a bit of oxidation, lols like I got away with it.
Glad you enjoyed them🙏🏻
Yes, mate, really liked both beers. The Gamma Ray keg kicked last night. I thought it was half full ffs. How does this keep happening?

Head was a bit fuzzy this morning. Slept through my alarm clock and made it into work with less than a minute to spare. Thank Christ for 10am starts!

Cask Best Bitter. 9 days in the cask now and nicely carbonated. Clear, although not quite crystal clear. The flavour is nice but not on-song just yet.

View attachment 104421
Excuse my ignorance HB, I've not been following closely enough,
but how is cask beer carbonated, unless you mean by 2ndry fermentation in cask?
I had assumed Keg = gas pressurised, gas dispensed,
Cask = no pressurisation, gravity or pump dispensed.

Excuse my ignorance HB, I've not been following closely enough,
but how is cask beer carbonated, unless you mean by 2ndry fermentation in cask?
I had assumed Keg = gas pressurised, gas dispensed,
Cask = no pressurisation, gravity or pump dispensed.
That’s right, it’s carbonated through secondary fermentation. The beer is in a King Keg and the beer dispensed through a tap using fairly low pressure from the natural carbonation. This is it on the day it came out of the fermenter into this King Keg with a little sugar.

IMG_7809.jpeg

Here is the last beer in our trilogy of barrel-aged beers.

At the German Home and Hobby Brewing Days in September 2024, we were able to achieve 3rd place overall with our presentations.

Bourbon Mystic.png

Bourbon Mystic

This Belgian Trappist matured for 250 days in an exclusive four-grain bourbon barrel from Bluebird Distilling, Pennsylvania, and was brewed with selected ingredients according to a special recipe.
A mild bourbon flavour is accompanied by notes of caramel and bread dough. As is typical of Belgian beer, Trappist has fruity notes of plums, figs, sultanas and cherries.
A Trappist monk once aptly said :
‘Beer should be liquid bread, not coloured water’.

Brewed by hand, with heart and mind.

Alk. 10.9 vol.%
Brewed: 20/09/2023
Bottled: 15/09/2024

20241002 Bourbon Mystic.jpg

The work he is looking done is for a very interesting direction he is taking the brewery in.
Basically he is going to create a home brew club on the Derry/donegal border based in the brewery in muff and he is putting in a brewing space with 5 70l brewmonks and all the facilities for amateur home brewers to learn the art of brewing and where experienced home brewers can come and brew using his equipment and closed transfer and state of the art fermenting equipment and then final bottling/kegging on his set up. It will also include group brew days on the larger equipment to brew large imperial stouts etc and keg or bottle to take home (duty will have to paid at point of kegging but it’s minimal on the small amounts)
He also plans to install a tasting room and event space for parties and tap room events.
Not sure if anywhere else around is doing this type of set up but I’m looking forward to it as the head brewer Declan has a huge amount of knowledge to share

https://www.facebook.com/otterbrews
Twitter.com/otterbrews

Latest posts

Back