What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some lovely bao buns and a panang curry, now using some of my stout to top up (or bottom up, I put it in first) the 440ml Guinness through the nitrosurger

1000058847.jpg

IMG_20240121_182206.jpg

Back home now,
My pre dinner is my own hopped Kent pale, her's the dinner Claret that
needed decanting.
I get the filtered off the crud taster.
IMG_20240121_184733.jpg

My, that went down quickly so it has to be my Camden (not so) pale ale clone. Absolutely gorgeous.
I had my first actual Camden p. a. last night at a pub dinner.
Mine is tastier.
IMG_20240121_185757.jpg

Son turned up just on time for my Camden pa clone taster. He agreed, sensible boy.

I thought I would give my Golden Ale a fair crack of the whip. So it was the first cab off the rank tonight. No, still ****, a definite toffee note, and lacking the bitterness which satisfies my palate. No more Noble hops for me in an ale. Second was another taste of my latest Best Bitter, even green it is more like it. I had an English Pale Ale after that, even better.
IMG_0586.JPG

Best Bitter.
IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

I thought I would give my Golden Ale a fair crack of the whip. So it was the first cab off the rank tonight. No, still ****, a definite toffee note, and lacking the bitterness which satisfies my palate. No more Noble hops for me in an ale. Second was another taste of my latest Best Bitter, even green it is more like it. I had an English Pale Ale after that, even better.
View attachment 95027
Best Bitter.
View attachment 95028
View attachment 95029
It's a shame about that Golden ale hop/toffee balance.
The one I brewed was an Exmoor Gold clone and an absolute cracker, using just Maris Otter pale (normal) malt, a little (100g vs. 4kg MO) light crystal malt and flaked barley each. Hops were Challenger 60mins. boil for bittering, and EKG for late boil and 75c whirlpool. Simple but delicious.
The recipe originally came from Graham Wheeler's book via @Cheshirecat on here.

Latest posts

Back