What a fantastic Christmas Present!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinopig

Reaction score
Hello to all!

My Wife bought me a Youngs Brewbuddy kit from Wilkinsons for Christmas, because I like beer enough not to give up on this new hobby/science/religion/obsession after two weeks (see barren wasteland vegetable plot and abandoned animation project).

I've supplemented the kit by buying a thermometer, a pressure barrel, a test jar and looking, and I stress only looking, at some bit of kit which adds pressure to barrell/bottle, but costs 18 quid and doesn't look like it has any instructions.

I've brewed a barrel of Tom Caxton Real Ale and because I do almost everything half arsed, I didn't really bother trying to work out what the Hydrometer is supposed to do, although it seemed to have the right reading before barreling. It's been in the barrel for three weeks now and is nice and clear. However it is pretty flat with no real head. I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be like that or not, it tastes alright, a little thin for me really. Maybe I should buy one of those pressure adding things?

I'm looking forward to brewing a substantial Belgian Abbey Style beer next and the Norfolk Wherry which seems very popular. I'm also looking forward to the friendly atmosphere that I've noticed when browsing this forum.

Thanking you all in advance for any assistance you can offer to yet another fledgling,

Regards,

Rhino

Thanks for the welcomes!

Dieseljockey, does that mean add sugar after syphoning, if so, yes I did.

Regards

Thanks for all the advice.

I think I'll be taking a bit more time over the next brew, and as a someone who has an old fondness for a certain North London club, maybe I should be thinking Newcastle Brown!

I did prime the barrell, but reading the posts on here, I am begining to wonder whether it is the fact that I used Tate & Lyle wot done it! The beer, by the way, is quite nice to taste and did get me drunk last night, not a complete loss then.

Also, I've just realised how idiotic it must sound to be talking about getting the C02 thing to put fizz in my brew when, of course, it is used to add pressure to the barrel, not the brew!

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for an Abbey style kit, a la Leffe Brun?

Thanks again,

Rhino

Rhinopig said:
Thanks for all the advice.
Also, I've just realised how idiotic it must sound to be talking about getting the C02 thing to put fizz in my brew when, of course, it is used to add pressure to the barrel, not the brew!
Thanks again,
Rhino

When you added the sugar what yeast was left in your brew had a final fling on it...it's this mini fermetation that adds the Co2 (the fizz) to your keg..you will find as you draw off the first pints the pressure will drop...when you use the Co2 bulb this will pressure the keg but also some of the gas will be absorbed into the brew..do a search on carbonating a keg on the forums post. :thumb:

Hello again :drink:

Well, just to conclude this welcoming thread, I have invested in a new cap for my barrel and carbonated my brew with good results. Thanks to all for the advice :cheers:

Also I've decided to get serious about all this and bought a few other things from my local brew shop. My plan is to set up in our outhouse and have a large tub of water with an aquarium heater in it to keep F V's and barrells (F V currently containing a Youngs Scottish Heavy in the lounge, maybe one day venture to AG, but kits for a good while yet) at the optimum temperature. Next step- convince my Wife that we really do need to throw away everything else in the outhouse!

After my current brew is fermented (and after advice from this forum I will be leaving it longer), I will be brewing Brewferm Abbey ale and bottling it for a good while.

Just a note on my local brewshop, very helpful! It's not a dedicated shop, more of a bits and pieces place. The chap who was in there on Friday admitted he did not know much about brewing, but then 'phoned his son and let me chqat to him about stock etc! Very helpful in thier own way! J P Homebrew, Stratford Road, Wolverton.

Anyway, once again, thanks for all the help, and I'm sure I'll need much more :drunk:

Regards

Rhino :D

Back