Warm Room ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricardo

Regular.
Reaction score
Loads of people talk about a 'warm room' about 18 to 22 degrees.
Well my house is flamin freezing cos I'm a tight wad and the temp is only around 14 degrees....
Am I right in thinking this is too cold for fermenting with a brewbelt / aquarium heater or are things just going to take longer ???

I`ve been thinking about this too with my house temps going up and down. :wha:

I thought about making some kind of insulation box just big enough for my ferm bin or jar.

Anyone got any ideas or done something similar?

my thermostat is set to 15c and only comes on for two hours a day, i have a thermometer in the kitchen where all the initial fermentation takes place, this rarely goes below 15c, i have had no problems yet, although it is my first winter brewing!!

Phew glad to see that I'm not the only one that keeps the house temp below 25 degrees !!!
Must cost some people a fortune keeping their houses as hot as that.
But good for fermenting tho..........can't have your beer AND drink it.

If you pitch a sufficiently large quantity of yeast you will find that heating is not an issue as the yeast produces heat as it works, my last brew was fermenting in my unheated garage which was at between 10 and 14C the yeast kept itself at 21C during the first 2 days of vigorous fermentation :grin: as fermentation slowed I just covered the FV with an old fleece blanket to add a little insulation and it held 18C :D
1.043 to 1.011 in 3 days :thumb:

Latest posts

Back