using malt extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubbss

Reaction score
Hi,

Been brewing for about a year and have had some great beers using kits and normal white sugar. I am now thinking of trying malt extract and wondered if the Malt Extract they sell in Holland and Barrett at £1.89 for 454g will do the trick - a jar of this and half a bag of sugar

thanks

There is no guarantee that it is brewing grade, and may well be unfermentable (or less fermentable), plus contain higher levels of protein than desired leading to potential haze problems . . . . You pay your money and take your chance ;)

ive done it a lot. i made about 6 brews with it. some youngs definitive bitter and some geordie bitter kits.

i thought it would increase the fermentable sugars without robbing the kit of its flavour.

i found that, although the flavour of the beer is acceptable it was a bit too malty and not particularly stronger. also, the beer would not clear. it held on to a haze for many weeks. this is why i have stopped using it.

now i just use less water in my brews and i get a stronger ale, good flavour and its all crystal clear.

i think its worth giving the malt pot a go because one friend definately prefered one of my geordies with demmerera sugar and a pot of h&b maltyness.

i wont use it again, and if you live in south wales you can collect a pot i have in my cupboard that i know i will never use.

also, if you want to experiment a bit try different sugars.

one of my best results has been an Edme stout with 500g mollasses sugar (not the liquid, the black sugar) and 500g demerrera. and i only used 20liters of water. i am down to my last 2 bottles and it is very good.

demerrera sugar works well. lidl does a bag for £1.20ish i always use demmerrera (you'd think i could spell it by now)

for my next brew, an ipa i think, i will use white sugar. i have never used just white sugar and we must try everything.

Latest posts

Back