User-upper Mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewed_Force

Pretty Womans from your town for night
Reaction score
Trying to use up my stock of ageing grain & hops, so cobbled up this recipe, which may resemble a dark mild.....

(19L - 30 minute boil)
Maris Otter Pale Malt 1.538Kg
Crystal 70 500g
Caramunich l 115g
Pale Chocolate 100g
Biscuit Malt 75g
Flaked Barley 100g
Magnum 11g 30m
EKG 5g 10m
Saaz 5g 10m

Mash @ 68°C
Gervin yeast @ 20°C

Any comments ?

I've done a few milds in my time. Mash a degree of two higher and if you're open to using a different yeast, dont use notty, use some thing with a lower attenuation. Something with no more than 75% like S-04 (notty is usually about 75%). You could go lower and use something like MJ M15/Windsor/London ESB.

Looks lot of crystal in there, whats the percentage?

Why only a 30 minute boil? Why not 60? I think there's too much crystal, too. What OG are you aiming for? I can't see more than about 1025 there! Might be better to do 15 litres or less.

I agree about the crystal, it's 20% not including the Caramunich.
Thought maybe as it would be low ABV I'd try to get in a more complex flavour profile, based on my limited grain stock.
I think I may have a sachet of S-04 knocking about in a drawer, also a CML Real Ale yeast.

Yes way too much crystal for my liking will be sweet and sickly poss. I only boil for 45 mins nowadays instead of the normal 60

Why only a 30 minute boil? Why not 60? I think there's too much crystal, too. What OG are you aiming for? I can't see more than about 1025 there! Might be better to do 15 litres or less.
I do 30 minute boils because it works for me, just increase the bittering hop quantities a bit to compensate.
The OG should be 1.035 if I end up with about 16L.

Yes way too much crystal for my liking will be sweet and sickly poss. I only boil for 45 mins nowadays instead of the normal 60
Looks like I may have to send out SWMBO to get a small bag of pale malt from the LHB shop.wink...........and cut the crystal back a bit.
I have a 500g bag of light chocolate malt available, so could increase that?

Just going off the subject for a mo I do a 45 min mash and a 45 min boil and have done for probably the last 20ish brews with no detriment to any of the beers or efficiency. I do it to shorten the brew days and I know that 30 mins has been proved long enough in mash and boil by other brewers( Brulosophy etc) I just err on safety and do the 45 min instead

Latest posts

Back