Use em up Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I realised ive not followed up on this thread.
So it turned out OK in the end, just too much cocoa powder that needed to settle.

Though I've now got some choclate and roast malt so what recipies do people recommend?

So I realised ive not followed up on this thread.
So it turned out OK in the end, just too much cocoa powder that needed to settle.

Though I've now got some choclate and roast malt so what recipies do people recommend?

This is my recipe for an Oatmeal Stout: https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/february-dark-beer-competition.104207/post-1266806

You could use that as a starting point for a recipe. Take a bit of care with the chocolate malt though, I use quite a high percentage in that recipe as it is a low colour chocolate malt. If you are using standard chocolate malt you'll want to reduce the quantity.

Thanks, %age wise I'm not far off what I've been playing with.

Clear choise 65.8%
Flaked barky 8.2% ( I think this is too much)
Roast barley 8.2%
Carra munich 2 6.1%
Wheat malt 4.3% ( ill get rid of this)
Cholate malt 3.8%
Specal b 2.2%
Dark crystal 1.5%

I am also having a go at an oatmeal stout based on Stu's recipe. Taking on board his point about the low colour chocolate (I only have the ordinary stuff), I'm reducing that a bit. But I note that Stu is using a lot more oats than I've ever been brave enough to do in the past! Also, because I find the idea pleasing (and no-one else seems to do it) I like using actual oatmeal (buy it from the health food stall in the your local market) rather than rolled oats. I've used it successfully in the past. I've gone with this, for 15 litre batch,

2500 Pale Malt
100 rolled oats
300 oatmeal
180 dark crystal
180 roasted barley
240 chocolate malt
50 black malt

So I knocked back the choc malt and oats a bit, but still used more of both than I have in the past. I'm going to go with Stu's Fuggles for the hops.

OK, going in now! :D

I am also having a go at an oatmeal stout based on Stu's recipe. Taking on board his point about the low colour chocolate (I only have the ordinary stuff), I'm reducing that a bit. But I note that Stu is using a lot more oats than I've ever been brave enough to do in the past! Also, because I find the idea pleasing (and no-one else seems to do it) I like using actual oatmeal (buy it from the health food stall in the your local market) rather than rolled oats. I've used it successfully in the past. I've gone with this, for 15 litre batch,

2500 Pale Malt
100 rolled oats
300 oatmeal
180 dark crystal
180 roasted barley
240 chocolate malt
50 black malt

So I knocked back the choc malt and oats a bit, but still used more of both than I have in the past. I'm going to go with Stu's Fuggles for the hops.

OK, going in now! :D

I can get away with a high percentage of oats because that particular one (Crisp Flaked Torrefied Oats) includes the husk. So it's probably only about half that weight if you were to use oats without the husks (according the the Maltmiller site). The husk helps with preventing run-off issues so also allows me to push the percentage up a bit without running into any issues.

Your recipe looks good though! athumb..

Latest posts

Back