Update to AG#1 Broadford Pale - now with pics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bishopsfinger said:
J
unclepumble said:
Are you doing white label or white sheild.

Hi UP. If White Sheild you want to hop with
challenger fuggles and northern brewer (or northdown)

pale malt & crystal for the malts

UP

It's the white label but must admit i wasn't sure if they were the same beer. Not one familiar to me but brewing it for my father-in-law who has given me loads of his kit and books (all from the 70's - just like me). Given that, Is the recipe ok for the label version?

AFAIAA there was no Worthingtons White Label, White Sheild yes but not white label, if you are brewing white sheild, use the hops Above not the ones in the wheeler book ;) to about 45IBU.

UP

unclepumble said:
bishopsfinger said:
J
unclepumble said:
Are you doing white label or white sheild.

Hi UP. If White Sheild you want to hop with
challenger fuggles and northern brewer (or northdown)

pale malt & crystal for the malts

UP

It's the white label but must admit i wasn't sure if they were the same beer. Not one familiar to me but brewing it for my father-in-law who has given me loads of his kit and books (all from the 70's - just like me). Given that, Is the recipe ok for the label version?

AFAIAA there was no Worthingtons White Label, White Sheild yes but not white label, if you are brewing white sheild, use the hops Above not the ones in the wheeler book ;) to about 45IBU.

UP

Hi, then I'm confused because Dave Line's book has a recipe for (BASS Worthington) Worthington White Label (no mention of Whote Sheild), but as I say, this is a 1979 version and I was only 1 at the time, so I am just taking his recipe as read. Thanks for the Sheild recipe though. By the way, I've just had three botle conditioned beers from the Mallinson Brewing Co. IAre these guys from your neck of the woods e: NCBA?

Mallinson Brewing Co are in Huddersfield, I was sampling some of theirs a few weeks ago in huddersfield, & a nice pint it was too, don't know a lot about them though.

UP

Hi Bishop

Welcome to the darkside, hope all goes well and looking forward to seeing the pics

happy Brewing

JB

unclepumble said:
Mallinson Brewing Co are in Huddersfield, I was sampling some of theirs a few weeks ago in huddersfield, & a nice pint it was too, don't know a lot about them though.

UP

I tried the Pacific Jade, Atlantean and the Castle Hill Premium. All nice, but the Castle Hill was really good. I'd like to ge the recipe for this one and try it myself! They stock their beers in Oddbinns, but I haven't seen them anywhere else.

JustBri said:
Hi Bishop

Welcome to the darkside, hope all goes well and looking forward to seeing the pics

happy Brewing

JB

Cheers JB. The brew is on hold for a couple of days while I wait for my one and only FV to be freed up.... :evil: I'll update this with pics and a run down of how it went as soon as I get it done.... :thumb:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Where is White Label brewed? :wha:

Not sure BB... I'm not sure... All I can think is that this beer now goes by a different name? although google doesn't find a great deal of information on the history of this beer. Dave Line either made a mistake, or this is just a very different take/recipe of the well known White Sheild. Although the hop bill is totally different so I can't see this being the case :hmm:

Anyone know the answer to this?

Just looked in my copy of DL`s book the index says white label but the page is headed white shield. My main goal in life in the 70`s was to drink as many cask ales and bottled conditioned beers as my liver would take, and I did a reasonable fist of it, but I don`t ever remember a white label. Bottled white shield along with guinness were about the only beers available in every pub so was always a good stand-by in the Watneys red revolution era. I`ve brewed both DL`s and GW`s versions and personally find Grahams one much nicer and nearer to the real thing. His hop bill is challenger and northdown the same as is printed in the homebrew recipe database.

The GW recipe is not wholly accurate it will just give you a beer similar as all clone recipe books will.

Its really the yeast that makes the biggest difference to what end product you get.

But what ever you do if done right it will be a Great Beer.

Happy Brewing

UP

Brewing this beer in the 80`s I captured yeast from the WS bottles with great results but tried this yeast in the summer and was a bit disappointed, believe they have altered the strain. The last one I brewed [finished the barrel 2 wees ago] was brewed with whitelabs 0005 and was one of the best beers I`ve made recently. Must admit I tend to make it as a cask beer rather then a bottled beer as it should be. If you believe the recipe database GW`s recipe is closer to the real thing than DL`s although all these books state they are not like for like.

Slightly annoyed with myself for managing to pick the one recipe from Dave Line's book that doesn't actually exist....
Still going to go ahead and brew it on Sunday, that is unless anyone can recommend another 19L brew from the following;

Grain - Maris Otter (I have 4kg) and Crystal Malt (I have 1kg)
Hops - I have 100g of each of the following; EK Goldings; Fuggles; Challenger; Styrian Goldings; Cascade
Yeast - Safale S-04

I feel there must be lots of options with this lot, but I'm struggling to decide on anything
:thumb:

Not sure, so think I'm going to scrap this plan... if noone on this forum has heard of it, then I think Dave Line just made a mistake in his book (and before anyone says it.... no its not White Sheild ... it's a different recipe).

I'm going to make my own recipe up and suffer the consequences! :shock: probably a nice simple Pale Ale :thumb:

bishopsfinger said:
Not sure, so think I'm going to scrap this plan... if noone on this forum has heard of it, then I think Dave Line just made a mistake in his book (and before anyone says it.... no its not White Sheild ... it's a different recipe).

I'm going to make my own recipe up and suffer the consequences! :shock: probably a nice simple Pale Ale :thumb:

As I said earlier in my copy the index says white label but the top of the page says white shield, may be a different print to yours, I`m 99% sure their is no beer called white label. Although I worshiped this book when it came out and have brew a high proportion of the recipes some of them are a bit wide off the mark compared to the real things, but are all decent beers in there own rights. In the 1970`s early 80s I was addicted to Abbot ale [ it was a far superior compared to the one they sell today] tried his recipe loads of times and always got a decent pint but could never get close to the real thing probably never will without the right yeast. So brew the recipe, you will get a good pint but it just won`t be white shield. The nearest I`ve got to WS is Graham Wheelers recipe with whitelabs WLP0005 British yeast. You can cultivate yeast from WS bottles and I did for about 10 years but tried it recently but it was not the same, sure I`ve read somewhere they have changed it in recent years.

dennisking said:
bishopsfinger said:

As I said earlier in my copy the index says white label but the top of the page says white shield, may be a different print to yours, I`m 99% sure their is no beer called white label. Although I worshiped this book when it came out and have brew a high proportion of the recipes some of them are a bit wide off the mark compared to the real things, but are all decent beers in there own rights. In the 1970`s early 80s I was addicted to Abbot ale [ it was a far superior compared to the one they sell today] tried his recipe loads of times and always got a decent pint but could never get close to the real thing probably never will without the right yeast. So brew the recipe, you will get a good pint but it just won`t be white shield. The nearest I`ve got to WS is Graham Wheelers recipe with whitelabs WLP0005 British yeast. You can cultivate yeast from WS bottles and I did for about 10 years but tried it recently but it was not the same, sure I`ve read somewhere they have changed it in recent years.

Cheers Dennis, yeah I have the 1979 edition and it doesn't have the beers in the index, I just think this was a mistake... or, to give Dave Line the benefit of the doubt... just a beer that noone remembers.... either way this tells me not to brew it as my first. I'm getting the Wheeler book for crimbo, so I'll definately be giving WS a go. Thanks for the info :thumb:

*Change of plans yet again, i'm ditching the Dave Line book and have decided on what I think is a nice simple Pale Ale - comments, suggestions are welcome :thumb:

Broadford Pale
4kg of Marris Otter
500g of Crystal Malt
500g of Soft brown sugar
30g Cascade @90mins
40g Cascade @15mins
30g Cascade @0mins (steeped once boil has finished)
Safale US-05

Expected OG 1049
Expected FG 1012
Expected ABV 4.9%
Expected IBU 39.9
Expected SRM 8.9

I'll be brewing this bright and early 12/12/10 and will get the pics on soon after!

That looks lovely. my suggestion would be to mash at about 67c to add a bit more body. Could be a little thin with the low amount of malt and 500g sugar :thumb:

Back