Two seals on a ball lock post.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Hawkins

Reaction score
Hi guys, I hope this isn’t a stupid question...

Got a new corny keg today and there are two seals on each post. Haven’t seen this before...
image.jpg

Hi,

I don't want to hijack the post but have similar question, I got three corny kegs from different suppliers and they all came with double seal on each post. I found one leaking a bit so I ordered some new ballock post for Cornelius keg thinking they all the same. What I got was a single o-ring post with much smaller thread which doesn't fit my keg. I would really appreciate what the difference is and where (how they are named/coded) I could get the one that fits my keg.

On the photo the one on the right with double pink o-ring is one which came with my keg, the other one is a brand new I ordered which does not fit the thread on the keg :(

posts.png

I found one leaking a bit so I ordered some new ballock post for Cornelius keg thinking they all the same.
I was of the same opinion that they were all the same!! looking at the ones you have tho' surely the new one on the left is a male thread and the original one is female? If you look on a few websites they state male or female, not sure if that helps. Where was it leaking from? I have a keg that if I put sideward pressure on or tilt the ball lock disconnect it trickles out from the ball lock, I'm waiting for my keg to be empty before looking at this as I don't know if it's the disconnect or the ball lock.

Hi,

Thanks for prompt comment!

The new one is also female but on the photo in my previous message there is a spring inside which might make an impression it's a male thread. I actually managed to hack the two and used spring from the new one in the original post and it holds the pressure just fine. Please see the photo of the new smaller post, it's defo a female :) And the other photo showing two different springs sealing the post output/input hole. The one on the left is from the new post ordered,
new_post.png
springs.png
the one on the right from my original double o-ring post.

Ive got the same (double ring). How did you manage to remove the gasket (on the right)?

I did not remove the gasket, I've replaced whole thing the spring with the gasket. I used pliers to remove the spring with the gasket from the old post and then inserted the new spring as is, pressed it down against the keg and screwed it on. The pin very gently sticks out of the double ring post, probably 0.5mm or less (see the photo), but the quick disconnect works just fine. I left the keg pressurised to 80 PSI for couple weeks and it didn't not drop the pressure at all. The keg is now full so can't really provide more detailed pics.

pin.png

I would still like to know how these two posts are called/defined! Is it by thread diameter do the have specific names etc? I really had an impression all the ball lock posts are the same, I was obv wrong.

I did not remove the gasket, I've replaced whole thing the spring with the gasket. I used pliers to remove the spring with the gasket from the old post and then inserted the new spring as is, pressed it down against the keg and screwed it on. The pin very gently sticks out of the double ring post, probably 0.5mm or less (see the photo), but the quick disconnect works just fine. I left the keg pressurised to 80 PSI for couple weeks and it didn't not drop the pressure at all. The keg is now full so can't really provide more detailed pics.

View attachment 29020

I would still like to know how these two posts are called/defined! Is it by thread diameter do the have specific names etc? I really had an impression all the ball lock posts are the same, I was obv wrong.

Your poppet is sticking through a long way but i have a keg that does the same and is fine. The double rings look iffy to me but as long as your pressure test works again it must be fine. I have quite a collection of post and poppets and some wont work together although as you say they are meant to all be the same size. Any problems i have had have been resolved by changing the rings/poppets or dip tubes.

I've got a total of 6 kegs from BKT, some have single O rings on the posts, some have doubles. Guess it's just the design of the post and I've never given it a second thought really. They all seal fine.

Got me thinking now, some of the kegs are manufactured by Safer, some by AEB, not sure if one make has the double rings. I'll have a look later...

Just got into kegging and bought 2 kegs with these posts and orings. Now...after a bit of research i am certain that these are aeb coca-cola pin lock kegs that were converted to ball lock. So i just ordered one of each types of posts 19/32 "-18 & 9/16"-18 , I bet the correct posts are 9/16"-18. And that is why AEB pin lock ones do not fit. My kegs are perfect, but i really would like to stock some correct spares. Ordered from Aliexpress...so it was cheap. Will post update as soon as i get them.

Just got into kegging and bought 2 kegs with these posts and orings. Now...after a bit of research i am certain that these are aeb coca-cola pin lock kegs that were converted to ball lock. So i just ordered one of each types of posts 19/32 "-18 & 9/16"-18 , I bet the correct posts are 9/16"-18. And that is why AEB pin lock ones do not fit. My kegs are perfect, but i really would like to stock some correct spares. Ordered from Aliexpress...so it was cheap. Will post update as soon as i get them.

I picked up a couple of these refurbed kegs with the 2 o-rings and they are a pain to use with gas and liquid connectors because they require so much brute force to fit them. So I did the same research as yourself and they are ex-coca cola pin-lock kegs which have been converted to ball lock. And I'm 99% certain they 9/16 on both the gas & liquid side. So I'm looking forward to see how you get on before I buy a couple of replacement posts which have the universal poppets. Cheers.

Yes, good to hear someone has the same conclusion.
In my last post i meant to say " that's why AEB ball lock ones do not fit" Even Maltmiller says this...because they know that thread was originally 9/16 (pin lock thread). BTW: here's the link for all the options with universal poppets included (they are on their way to me) 5.51US $ 26% OFF|19/32

Yes, good to hear someone has the same conclusion.
In my last post i meant to say " that's why AEB ball lock ones do not fit" Even Maltmiller says this...because they know that thread was originally 9/16 (pin lock thread). BTW: here's the link for all the options with universal poppets included (they are on their way to me) 5.51US $ 26% OFF|19/32

So, we should go for 9/16 fitting of we have one of these double o-ring posts? They work fine, but I've also found them to be a very tight fit.

I'll confirm that as soon as i receive the posts. But i'm confident the 9/16 posts from China will fit AND they can take universal poppets. Curiously the posts on my converted kegs have a nice and easy fit.

If you use a 9/32 post, it will fit (albeit loosely) but you'll end up stripping the keg thread when you tighten it and then there's no way back. The 9/16 will be tight and that's because it needs to be.

For me, I just want to get rid of these double o-ring posts with the 3-legged poppet because they are a nightmare to connect anything too (especially stainless steel gas/liquid connectors) and also because I have a ton of universal poppets and o-rings for my normal kegs.

In fact, I'm having an argument with the supplier of these kegs (a small company in Ireland) because I wasn't aware of these connections and I don't think they are fit for purpose. They keep saying that other people have not complained but that's maybe because some people don't change their components as much as I do and they are prepared to spend money on food-grade lube.

But at the end of the day, I do understand that they don't want the expense or hassle of changing the posts. But come on, these kegs are from the 1990's and they are making enough profit on them to spend a quid or two in order to make them standard!

Yea..but the 9/16 posts are cheap as dirt...i think all of these kegs were converted by the same company, They all have the same colour double orings. Mine were bought in Spain. Also i think the posts and poppets are from AEB. So maybe AEB sells these converted kegs themselves in bulk.

My 9/16 posts arrived today and they fit perfectly! I'm over the moon to see the back of the pink double o-ring posts.

Have say though, I needed to use WD40 on the old post and then sit on the keg to get some leverage to remove them. But it's worth it 😃

My 9/16 posts arrived today and they fit perfectly! I'm over the moon to see the back of the pink double o-ring posts.

Have say though, I needed to use WD40 on the old post and then sit on the keg to get some leverage to remove them. But it's worth it 😃
I've just ordered a couple, many thanks to everyone on this tread.

I've got two reconditioned Malt Miller kegs and I was looking at buying some spares when I realise these posts aren't standard. It's a bit of a shame really that they're selling them with non standard posts... I see they do sell compatible replacement posts but at £12 each it's a no from me :laugh8:

Back