Turbo Perry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
I'd appreciate some technical advice here, someone on another (more winemaking orientated) forum which I frequent has made a Turbo Perry to the same method as the Turbo Ciders popular on both forums (fora?). I'd be quite interested to have a go at this myself.

He has used just pear juice, pressed by a local farm, together with a champagne yeast. Unfortunately, he didn't take an OG.

It seems to have finished at 1.014, his hydrometer hasn't budged for a week and he has bottled at that.

I've made TC and it's gone to dryness of .992, so his Perry sounds far too sweet to me, but it does sound like it has finished. Why? Are there non-fermentable sugars in pear juice? I've tried to google that question but found nothing.

I have done a pear cider before (80% apple and 20% pear)with champagne yeast, and it fermented down into the 0.99something range. I can't imagine any real difference between the fermentables.

Ah yes, but he's used 100% pear juice.

I can't imagine any difference in the fermentables either, but I know there are a few very clever chemists and brewing scientists on this forum, so I thought I would relay the question.

Latest posts

Back