Turbo Cider Questions :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gambler said:
I bottled this yesterday [....]
Due to bottling issues, I had 3 flat bottles to taste after a day in the fridge.

Carbonation normally takes at least a week in the warm.

oldbloke said:
Gambler said:
Due to bottling issues, I had 3 flat bottles to taste after a day in the fridge.

I know my freind, but if you recall my thread in the beer brewing discusion, I smashed 3 bottles (which went down the sink) and another 3 which had hairline cracks in them (which I couldnt risk carbanating, so I stuck them in the fridge to drink asap (such a hard life :))

Gambler said:
oldbloke said:
Gambler said:

I know my freind, but if you recall my thread in the beer brewing discusion, I smashed 3 bottles (which went down the sink) and another 3 which had hairline cracks in them (which I couldnt risk carbanating, so I stuck them in the fridge to drink asap (such a hard life :))

Oh I see. That's what "due to bottling issues" meant. The bubbles make quite a difference to the perception of taste, but was it promising?

Ok, so this is now @ 12 days in the warm.

I needlessly worried myself by trying a bottle @ 5 days. It had a little "pffft" when I opened it, but absolutely no carbonation at all. I was deeply saddened as my last brew (beer) carbed up pretty much fully in this time, and the remaining time in the warm made no appreciable difference to me. I was starting to wonder if messing around with carbonating with AJ as a primer was a mistake... maybe I should of just played it safe for my first TC?

@ 12 days however (I'm drinking it now) It has fantastic carbonation. It has no drama at opening the bottle... but... strangely for a cider... It produces a head, and the head lasts half way down the glass (and I suspect to the end but I'm only half way through so far lol).

It tastes better too, and a decent wedge of **** in the bottom of the bottle might help explain why. despite the fact it hasn't even had any time in the cold yet.

The sourness that I described is still there, but as I think OB was hinting at, the fizziness compliments it. still, a little less sour would be nice, but I'm sure time will help with that.

It tastes very similar to strongbow at this moment in time, but with a wine like aftertaste (which is mildly unpleasant IMO) I think that might be what is left of the raspberry taste, and I hope it will mingle in with the cider taste and become a lovely cider.

In short, very drinkable now despite no time in the cool. Looking good for the future :)

I thought I'd post an update on this.

Its now had 2 weeks in the cold (was lazy and left it 3 weeks in the warm)

Carbonation is still great. Still holds a head which is very strange but pretty cool.

Taste wise I have no complaints. Its a very nice drink, not overly sharp at all now, and the raspberry taste is just about there, but you wouldn't know unless you were told I would imagine.

Really enjoying them, and even my step dad recons they are nice which is a shock lol. I might of even inspired him to start homebrew.

The only problem is they are too strong. It doesn't detract from the taste, but after 2 I'm very tipsy and 3 and I'm wasted. I did 4 once and I wont be doing that again lol. This is quite annoying as it makes it difficult to enjoy them. bit of a shame...

I'd defiantly call it a success, especially as I purposefully cut some corners in order to make the process less of a chore, and if the next batch comes out the same but at 5-6%, then I would be very happy. I'm not gunna bother with the syrup again, its just got too much sugar in it IMO.

Latest posts

Back