Turbo cider no.2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambler

Reaction score
Just put a turbo cider on. Decided to go with a more standard recipe this time, as while my last attempt was pretty good, it was a little rough around the edges lol.

Chucked in;

25l Tesco 4 for 85p apple juice.
3.75l (ish) Princes cranberry juice.
7tsp pectolase.
7tsp yeast nutrient.
7tsp tannin powder.
16 tbls Morisons granulated sweetener.
2x 5g Youngs cider yeast (just sprinkled on top and left).

Will top up with 4 or 5l apple juice in a week or so.

I'm a bit disappointed with how red it is :( I was hoping the cranberry wouldn't colour it too much...

Looking forward to it. I'm determined not to peak too often this time lol.

That strikes me as a lot of tannin and pect', I haven't done a large batch yet though, so it very well could be spot on! I've got a big batch due soon so I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Don't worry about the red colour too much, the colour will fade as the yeast ferments.

chrig said:
That strikes me as a lot of tannin and pect', I haven't done a large batch yet though, so it very well could be spot on! I've got a big batch due soon so I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Don't worry about the red colour too much, the colour will fade as the yeast ferments.

It should be a ~35l batch, so just under a teaspoon a gallon :)

The colour does fade, you won't know it's there by the end, it'll just be slightly darker than if you hadn't put it in.

Opened the lid a crack last night for a little peak. Some froth on top, so all seams well :)

Water bath bang on 19c, just need to forget about it for a bit, but its so hard :(

Tempted to put on 5l of wine to keep me occupied. Only problem is... I don't like wine :S. But I didn't like real ale until I brewed one and tried lots of different ales, so maybe brewing a wow type wine could be an experience. Its hard to dislike something you have created lol.

Try a fruit teabag wine, cheap, easy, amazingly good for the (lack of) cost and effort involved.

oldbloke said:
Try a fruit teabag wine, cheap, easy, amazingly good for the (lack of) cost and effort involved.

+1 to above. I have done a few of these and I think that they are much better than cheap kits. Here is a link.

viewtopic.php?t=2291

Just boiled up 19 (had to try one) sainsburys strawberry, raspberry and cranberry fruit tea bags. Damn my house is smelling good right now lol.

Waiting for it to cool so I can get on with it.

I'm going with

2l wgj
19 strawberry, raspberry and cranberry tea bags
just under 1kg sugar
1/2 tsp tannin
1tsp citric acid
1tsp yeast nutriant
1tsp pectolase (when cool)
1 pack of wilkos all purpose wine yeast.
made to 5l after the initial fun dies down.

topped up the cider with 4l of AJ today. That looks to be coming along nicely.

The wine on the other hand is having a hard time.

my cider has the luxary of a temperature controlled bath. The wine however, has been just chucked in the kitchen and left to do its own thing.

The kitchen has dropped down to 15c. The yeast has stopped going about its yeasty business now, unless I give it a bit of a swirl.

I've chucked it in the boys room while he is at school and its going like mad again now, but unfortunatly, it cant stay there.

I'll just see how it goes. might not finish untill the summer gets here lol.

Cider is now bottled :)

Started at about 8:30pm, and finished mopping the kitchen at 1:30am lol.

I was a bit greedy when siphoning into the tub to bulk prime. I prime with apple juice, and lost next to nothing to the **** at the bottom, so I literally brimmed my 33l tub :S

Thinking I was clever, I quickly sanitized the lid and popped it on before attempting to pick it up and put it on the table. Unfortunately this displaced a load of the liquid and it started pouring onto the floor! I semi jammed the lid on and picked it up and popped it onto the table. I was so soaked in cider its unreal. all over my jeans and trainers lol. And damn, I forgot how heavy it is when full!

On the plus side, and came out with a record 67 bottles, so pretty happy with that.

I took a pic and was going to post it up, but at the end of the day, its a picture of 67 bottles :rolleyes: so not sure its worth the effort lol.

I guess I should do something with this wine soon... It finished fermenting a while ago. Maybe ill rack and stabilize it tonight...

Any real rough rules of thumb for how much sugar to add to 5l of 100% dry wine to take it to the dry side of medium? I know I should take readings and stuff, but I'm just messing around with this, so I'm not too worried if it isn't amazing :)

Racked the wine yesterday, will sweeten / top up tommorow.

Had a sneaky taste of the cider today. Its already prety fizzy, and tastes fantastic even at this early stage. Pretty sharp and with one odd taste, but I think this is going to be a real top notch batch :cheers:

As per my last tc, its holding a head which is strange but cool.

Pleased :)

Latest posts

Back