Trub?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunks

Reaction score
Hey guys, just transferred my first brew from the FV to a secondary to let it settle before bottling in the next day or so.

This was what was left at the bottom:

Y9meV.jpg

Does this look normal? I've looked around at photos of 'trub' but this looks quite different, what with the little craters and stuff.

Any ideas? :cheers:

looks normal to me, craters are just air bubbles being released- is more to do with gerneral consistency and smell, after a few positive brews u get alot more chilled and exp

Looks fine to me - so long as it resembles an aliens after-birth then you should be fine :party:

Looks lovely, the little craters form around where the CO2 bubbles nucleate...

Healthy crop all in all! :thumb:

If its your first brew you've transferred...note the amount of trub deposited. Now leave the brew in the 2nd fv for at least a week, then transfer to another fv or back to the cleaned first one and look how much trub has been deposited again. Bet you a dollar decide to leave it longer in the first fv in future or adopt the 2nd fv method...more debris dropped in the fv's the cleaner your bottled beer.

Awesome.

Was just a bit worried because after fermentation stopped after around a week, I planned to bottle it pretty quickly after (recommended by people who've followed the same recipe), but instead had to leave it for two weeks (out of town) and when I came back it looked a lot darker in the FV, but when I took a sample it was still nice and light (but a lot clearer, it's meant to be a wheat beer!).

IMG_4299.jpg

DAZU3.jpg

Wheat beer...

Looking like that I'd probably end up drinking a good few pints before it got to the bottles.
:thumb:

So after fermenting, how long should we leave beer in the FV before moving to a secondary, then how long should it stay in the secondary FV before bottling?

simonlpearce said:
So after fermenting, how long should we leave beer in the FV before moving to a secondary, then how long should it stay in the secondary FV before bottling?
Few days after fermentation has finished then second FV for 10-14 days ideally

Back