Trip to Prague = Amazing beer containers, fresh hops (help)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riblau

Reaction score
Ok so I just got back from a 4 day trip to Prague, had a woinderful time and got to sample loads of local brews. I visited a few brewerys and at one of them http://www.accommodation.cz/sur/medvidek.html was lucky enough to meet the master brewer!

Anyway, we had a chat and I told him that I was getting in to home brewing, and he gave me a reasonable sized bag of hops to use in my next brew. I'm brewing this weekend (can't decide between a woodfordes wherry or coopers stout kit) and would like to give it a go. They are saaz hops, fresh as can be, he said I wouldn't get much bitterness, just aroma from them. He said add for the last 10 mins of the boil, but I'm not an AG brewer, just kits, so would welcome suggestions on how best to put these to use, as I'd love to just to be able to say a brew had fresh hops from Prague in them. Also should I use them in the wherry or the stout?

Also, I got these two amazing 2 litre containers from the brewery shop, am looking forward to bottling in them, and pulling them out over christmas. Pic here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timjryan/4975995171/

Aren't Czech brewers amazing . . . I learned so much from my week over there in the 80's before it all got capitalist and spoiled :( . . . I know exactly what you are talking about regarding those hops really sticky and overpowering fragrant . . . If you have any difficulty in using them I would be prepared to take them off your hands :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :lol:

Yep Aleman, he was a really nice guy too, he's been written up all over the world including NY Times for his brews. Over dinner I drank their latest brew, called 'Bear's Blood', which had a reddish tinge and reddish foam, it was a bit sweet for me, but a testimony to their creativity and ability.

Any suggestions on how to use these hops in a beer kit brew?

PS: the hops smell is so strong the missus is making me keep them in a bag, in a sealed box, in the bathroom cupboard!

Latest posts

Back