Treacle ale???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluejam15

Reaction score
I found this recipe on another site - and wondered has anyone made a treacle ale - and if so what is it like?

I take it that it will be a dark beer?
But what about the flavour etc...Do you think any modifications should be put into the drink?

Treacle Ale

Ingredients:

1 lb Golden Syrup
½ lb Black Treacle
Juice of 2 lemons
Water
Lager Yeast
Bring the Golden Syrup and the Treacle to the boil with 4 pints of water.

Strain and add the lemon juice, 3 pints of water and the activated lager yeast.

Transfer to a gallon jar and fit fermentation lock.

Allow to work until nearly dry.

Rack and transfer into beer bottles and keep for a week or so before drinking

Cheers,

Bluejam15

Looks like a 'winemakers' recipe for beer . . . no hops so it won't be bitter . . . and I would probably bet that it tastes like something that is almost, but not quite, exactly unlike beer . . . . Golden syrup is completely fermentable, and treacle is more or less . . . so it will be dry with no body . . . get you ****** cheaply though . . . . if that is what you want. . . . but there are better things to make that will do that , turbo cider for instance.

I have a slightly different treacle ale recipe;
225g golden syrup
225g black treacle
225g demerara sugar
30g hops
4.5lts water
beer yeast & nutrient.
Boil all ingrediants excecp yeast & nutriant for 45 mins strain and stand to cool to 21 deg add yeast & nutient and ferment for at least a week then bottle till clear to drink.
Just got all the stuff needed going to brew this afternoon will let you know the outcome..
Nigel :drink: :drink: :drink:

Latest posts

Back