Transporting damage - Took some home brew over seas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Henry

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I flew to Japan taking with me half a dozen grolsch bottles of a recent brew. When I proudly presented the brew to a mate in Japan what came out had no resemblance to the original brew. I wondered if anyone could shed any light on why the brew had been damaged so much threw the travels. I now have to make my excuses to mates I've promised a taste to, as I guess theres no redeeming it now?

When you say no resemblance what do you mean? Clarity, taste, carbonation? How did it differ from what you set out with? Did it go in the aircraft hold?

bobsbeer said:
When you say no resemblance what do you mean? Clarity, taste, carbonation? How did it differ from what you set out with? Did it go in the aircraft hold?
Yep they went it the hold well wrapped (in clothes) in my suitcase. Came out the other side looking good. Same clarity, after having let them settle for the best part of a week. Pretty much everything else had changed though. Carbonation was there but lower, didn't hold a head. The main problem was the taste. Where as in blighty I had a full bodied well rounded brew, this was different. I don't detect any contaminations, the best way I can describe it is it's almost more alcahol tasting, not in a good way.

Well, never mind... Your mate can get some fantastic microbrews in Japan these days. No comparison, perhaps – but at least he won't go dry!

Check out Baird Beer in Numazu among others. One of the earliest and, as far as I know, one of the best.

For a decent beer (or ten) in Tokyo, you can't beat Popeye, perhaps the first real beer pub in the city. Your mate will find at least a couple of hand-pulled varieties there.

When I first lived in Japan, it was a beer wasteland – four major breweries with the market tied up completely. Now there are some amazing brews around, from 'common or garden' Yona Yona Pale Ale (available everywhere and nothing to be ashamed of) to the likes of Bairds.

Now I live in Portugal, which is another beer wasteland. But I've just started my attempt to put that right – in my village at least. Just bottled my first AG brew today...

Hope you enjoyed Japan anyway. No doubt you were able to find some sake to drown your sorrows?

Steve

scass said:
Well, never mind... Your mate can get some fantastic microbrews in Japan these days. No comparison, perhaps – but at least he won't go dry!

Check out Baird Beer in Numazu among others. One of the earliest and, as far as I know, one of the best.

For a decent beer (or ten) in Tokyo, you can't beat Popeye, perhaps the first real beer pub in the city. Your mate will find at least a couple of hand-pulled varieties there.

When I first lived in Japan, it was a beer wasteland – four major breweries with the market tied up completely. Now there are some amazing brews around, from 'common or garden' Yona Yona Pale Ale (available everywhere and nothing to be ashamed of) to the likes of Bairds.

Now I live in Portugal, which is another beer wasteland. But I've just started my attempt to put that right – in my village at least. Just bottled my first AG brew today...

Hope you enjoyed Japan anyway. No doubt you were able to find some sake to drown your sorrows?

Steve

Hey Steve where in Portugal are you at? I'm from Coimbra!

Cheers scass. I'm actually living in Japan myself, have been for nearly a year now. I made a brew when I was back over for Christmas with my dad and brother. I'd have to disagree with you on the Japanese microbrews. Don't get me wrong, I've not had any that are bad, but on the whole not a patch on the Europe and the states. I find a massive over use of cascade, so much so it's actually put me off it, before coming over it was one of my favourite hops. Yona yona is good and I've heard of Bairds, looking forward to trying it. I think it might be run by an English chap. Good luck with your brew in Portugal.

[/quote]
The main problem was the taste. Where as in blighty I had a full bodied well rounded brew, this was different. I don't detect any contaminations, the best way I can describe it is it's almost more alcahol tasting, not in a good way.[/quote]

Are you sure it isn't because your palate has been affected by eating Japanese food since you got back?
:hmm:

was it all the bottles? I have had brews where one bottle has died, by some means unknown but others have been cracking.

is the hold in the plain pressurised? insulated?

I'd guess the pressure will have changed dramatically during the flight, which was probably ok in the bottles (as you didn't say that any leaked), but the temp will have dropped quite considerably, and then presumably it's very wam in Japan, so it might have got very hot again after you landed. Temperature can have a dramatic effect on your brew.

willypt said:
Hey Steve where in Portugal are you at? I'm from Coimbra!

Ha! I'm in Distrito de Coimbra, Tábua! I know Coimbra quite well.

So I bet you are missing the wine, just like I miss the beers of home?

Steve

John_Henry said:
Cheers scass. I'm actually living in Japan myself, have been for nearly a year now. I made a brew when I was back over for Christmas with my dad and brother. I'd have to disagree with you on the Japanese microbrews. Don't get me wrong, I've not had any that are bad, but on the whole not a patch on the Europe and the states. I find a massive over use of cascade, so much so it's actually put me off it, before coming over it was one of my favourite hops. Yona yona is good and I've heard of Bairds, looking forward to trying it. I think it might be run by an English chap. Good luck with your brew in Portugal.

Hi John_Henry,

Sorry if you are disappointed in Japanese beers. There are some good, even great, ones. Honest. But on average don't set your standards too high.

I think Baird is from the US, actually. Their beers are very fine. Perhaps the best I had in Japan. Worth a visit to their taproom, right on the harbour at Numazu. And good sushi just across the way at the fish market...

Thirty years ago it was Kirin, Sapporo, Asahi and Suntory only. All basically the same. They are not exactly bad, just incredibly uninteresting.

Enjoy Japan. It's my second home.

Steve

prolix said:
was it all the bottles? I have had brews where one bottle has died, by some means unknown but others have been cracking.
I don't think so. They are grolsch swing tops. Were fine before the flight, no leakage either.

Crastney said:
is the hold in the plain pressurised? insulated?

I'd guess the pressure will have changed dramatically during the flight, which was probably ok in the bottles (as you didn't say that any leaked), but the temp will have dropped quite considerably, and then presumably it's very wam in Japan, so it might have got very hot again after you landed. Temperature can have a dramatic effect on your brew.

This was one of my thoughts. The temperature over here is much the same as england, but I'm sure there will have been some fairly vast variations on the flight. Could be the answer.

scass said:
John_Henry said:

Hi John_Henry,

Sorry if you are disappointed in Japanese beers. There are some good, even great, ones. Honest. But on average don't set your standards too high.

I think Baird is from the US, actually. Their beers are very fine. Perhaps the best I had in Japan. Worth a visit to their taproom, right on the harbour at Numazu. And good sushi just across the way at the fish market...

Thirty years ago it was Kirin, Sapporo, Asahi and Suntory only. All basically the same. They are not exactly bad, just incredibly uninteresting.

Enjoy Japan. It's my second home.

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yeah I'm definitely going to take a trip down to Baird. I think you sum it up well, "Uninteresting", bland, also springs to mind, but then again better than your average offering in a lot of UK chain pubs. My favourite of the big brands would have to be Yebisu, I think their actually owned by Sapporo. It's not so bad in Tokyo, with some good brews fairly readily available, but up here theres very little on offer.

I'll let you know if I find any gems for your next visit.

I take it you have tried a few rather than just the one? I can't think of anything that would affect the taste so much.

My thought is that there was something wrong with the brew before you left. My mate brought me a couple of beers in the US and flew back with them and they were ok.

Strange :hmm:

I had my old man try one back in the UK, he said it tasted good and certainly hadn't deteriorated. I drank one with him the night before leaving, so he should have a good idea.

I've had a few now, and whilst it isn't bad, it certainly isn't as good as it was prior to transporting.

Latest posts

Back