To Brew or not to Brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soay4700

Reaction score
Hi

I was considering purchasing the Speidel Braumeister for home brewing because of it's compactness and easy of use.

BUT, my big stumbling block is with finding a suitable 20litre container for barreling before bottling. There are plenty of 5 gallon containers but not any 4.5 gallon ones other than an ex soft drinks container, cornelius keg, which I think is 23 litres.

I have spent plenty of time searching on Google and various brewing forums with no luck. I would appreciate people's comments.

I plan to brew for my own consumption so I would be trying not to brew alot. Famous last words.

Thanks
Rob.

Welcome to the forum Soay

A 5 gallon fermentation bin will be fine it will only be in it for a week or so to allow the beer to drop clear. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
A 5 gallon fermentation bin will be fine it will only be in it for a week or so to allow the beer to drop clear. :thumb:

Thanks graysalchemy.

The advice I was going on was from Graham Wheeler who warns of avoiding too much air getting to the beer. I plan brewing strong type beers which would need a month or more barreling. That is why I think it is important.

The first time I brewed beer it was weak and tasteless. Now that I am older, wiser and my taste buds have had time to mature, I prefer strong, dark and tasty porter style beers. How often do you find them in the local pub these days? Hence the desire to brew some myself.

Rob.

Those office water coolers have 18.5 litre bottles :P

Water-Cooler-Image.jpg

Soay4700 said:
graysalchemy said:

Thanks graysalchemy.

The advice I was going on was from Graham Wheeler who warns of avoiding too much air getting to the beer. I plan brewing strong type beers which would need a month or more barreling. That is why I think it is important.

The first time I brewed beer it was weak and tasteless. Now that I am older, wiser and my taste buds have had time to mature, I prefer strong, dark and tasty porter style beers. How often do you find them in the local pub these days? Hence the desire to brew some myself.
Rob.

I wouldn't worry about it the beer will provide a nice dense blanket of co2 which as long as you don't disturb it will be fine. I usually only leave strong beers for 2 weeks or so in the secondary, As long as they are clear they will mature in the bottle fine given a few months. The only time I left a an 8%+ beer in an fv for 4 weeks it took 2 years to carb up properly in the bottle because the yeast which was probably a bit stressed and out of condition had mostly dropped out so as a result there was little yeast and poor quality at that.

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back