Throwing caution to the wind with....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch

Regular.
Reaction score
An experimental Mango IPA type..

So today Im throwing all caution to the wind and going totally experimental with a small 1 gallon ish tester batch of mango beer. Im using cascade & Chinook as that's what ive got. The grain bill consists of 1050gr MO & 55gr of dark crystal as I want to use it up. The plan is to chuck 300gr of fresh mango pulp in on day 5.

Should I dry hop?

Mash - 60

Boil is 60mins - 60min - Chinook 7gr - 15min - Chinook 4gr - 0min - cascade 12gr

Yeast will be Notts ale as that's what ive got left over.

+5 days - fresh mango pulp.

Totally flying by the seat of my pants.

Sounds great. Will be interested to hear how this goes as I'm planning to split my next brew and treat 5l with mango as well. When I read the other mango thread I started to get ahead of myself and was planning a tropical addition (mango, passin fruit, pineapple), but think I'm getting too excited!! Good luck with your experiment 🍻

Sounds great. Will be interested to hear how this goes as I'm planning to split my next brew and treat 5l with mango as well. When I read the other mango thread I started to get ahead of myself and was planning a tropical addition (mango, passin fruit, pineapple), but think I'm getting too excited!! Good luck with your experiment 🍻
Thanks!

I'm unsure as to whether or not to heat up the mango or chuck it in frozen. The test batch is only 6ltrs and I done know if 300g of fresh pulp will be considered too much. And I don't know if I should dry hop or not. At least I wont be wasting too much ingredients!

@Nottsbeer the mango addition has been in now for 2 days. I boiled it to 73 degrees. The pulp that is. It was 300gr of fresh pulp. Its day 9 today. I took the gravity on day 7 and it was at 1013 from 1046. I'm not going to dry hop this one see how it comes out.
The next I will change the yeast to MJ 04 & dry hop with a bit of citra.

@Nottsbeer the mango addition has been in now for 2 days. I boiled it to 73 degrees. The pulp that is. It was 300gr of fresh pulp. Its day 9 today. I took the gravity on day 7 and it was at 1013 from 1046. I'm not going to dry hop this one see how it comes out.
The next I will change the yeast to MJ 04 & dry hop with a bit of citra.
Exciting! I have the ingredients to brew a Taylor's Landlord clone (maybe tomorrow or in a couple of weeks). I'm planning on brewing 17l then taking 4l aside for the mango treatment. I've bought my first liquid yeast (wyeast 1469) so will see how it goes with this.

Did you take the gravity reading before you added the mango? Curious how much the sugar in the mango added to the brew. I will check what your original volume was and adjust quantities. Let us know how it tastes when bottling 👍🍻🍻

Did you take the gravity reading before you added the mango? Curious how much the sugar in the mango added to the brew. I will check what your original volume was and adjust quantities. Let us know how it tastes when bottling 👍🍻🍻

Yep the gravity was 1013 at the point of putting the mango in. ah I didn't take it again afterwards.

The volume I started with was 9ltrs after boil I finished with 6 which was my intention based on my calculations.

@Nottsbeer Prior to the mango addition the gravity was 1013 or so. Just taken it today on day 11 and its down to 1006 making it a 5.25% abv. Will take again tomorrow on day 12 and if its the same then I will bottle it. Fairly clear but I just disturbed it. Golden to dark and Im getting caramel so far prob down to the dark malt but little mango. Maybe the sweetness/fruit might come through during conditioning. Definitely drinkable though.

@Nottsbeer Prior to the mango addition the gravity was 1013 or so. Just taken it today on day 11 and its down to 1006 making it a 5.25% abv. Will take again tomorrow on day 12 and if its the same then I will bottle it. Fairly clear but I just disturbed it. Golden to dark and Im getting caramel so far prob down to the dark malt but little mango. Maybe the sweetness/fruit might come through during conditioning. Definitely drinkable though.
👍
I didn't manage to brew this week and I'm not sure if I'll get around to it now this month - maybe going away but as nothing definite planned I can't chance having a brew stuck in the fermenter too long. Sounds like you have a great beer to savour, hopefully some mango flavour will peak through after conditioning. 🍻

@Nottsbeer After 2 days cold crash in the garage fridge. I racked it off first which together with the crash has really shifted the debris. Finings added. Bottle up tomorrow and rest for 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 20210808_153725.jpg
    20210808_153725.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 49
@Nottsbeer After 2 days cold crash in the garage fridge. I racked it off first which together with the crash has really shifted the debris. Finings added. Bottle up tomorrow and rest for 2 weeks.
Nice colour. Am planning on brewing on Weds if the stars align!! I'm sure you'll have a wee taste tomorrow, hopefully tasting good.

All bottled up. Tastes pretty good flat. Mango on the nose. Im getting caramel and a fruit hint on the pallet. Primed with 1tsp sugar per bottle. The cold crash definately worked.
Bottle condition for 2 weeks from today.
Might play around with the hops and dry hop it with some citra next and up the mango pulp.

Attachments

• 20210809_142002.jpg
    20210809_142002.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 50
All bottled up. Tastes pretty good flat. Mango on the nose. Im getting caramel and a fruit hint on the pallet. Primed with 1tsp sugar per bottle. The cold crash definately worked.
Bottle condition for 2 weeks from today.
Might play around with the hops and dry hop it with some citra next and up the mango pulp.
Looks fantastic 👍

I managed to get my brew on yesterday 🥳🥳. Made 18.5l of wort (Taylor's Landlord clone), from which I've kept 6l to play with. Fermentation has started nicely. Will transfer into a glass Demi john once I buy one to get rid of the trub. Will keep you posted.

Attachments

• IMG_20210812_165310164.jpg
    IMG_20210812_165310164.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 41
I managed to get my brew on yesterday 🥳🥳. Made 18.5l of wort (Taylor's Landlord clone), from which I've kept 6l to play with. Fermentation has started nicely. Will transfer into a glass Demi john once I buy one to get rid of the trub. Will keep you posted.
nice. the 6ltrs is going to be your mango experiment? Yes pls do keep me informed. 👍

nice. the 6ltrs is going to be your mango experiment? Yes pls do keep me informed. 👍
Yes, the 6l is for the mango, tho as they are split over 2 bottles I'm now thinking of doing mango in one and something else with the other 🤔. I'm going to investigate using grapefruit or another fruit. I love pineapple but I'm not sure I can get a good one that will be nice and ripe in time. Will let you know in a few days!! John

Quick update. The beer has been fermenting for about a week now, so racked it off the sediment and added mango to one (about 300 g to 3l - maybe too much?), and blackberries to the other (about 300g as well - had been out picking them with the kids so thought may as well chuck them in!!). Going to give it another week to stew then bottle. Looking good 🤓

Attachments

• IMG_20210818_215336025.jpg
    IMG_20210818_215336025.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 43
I've just racked the beers into a clean demijohn to get rid of as much gunk as possible...going to cold crash for 3 days before bottling. FG is about 1.012. Had a bit of trouble with the Syphon so had definitely added some oxygen - especially with the blackberry beer as the bits clogged my tube, had to blow it back to clear! Thinking now, I should have put the fruit into muslin bags, this reducing the amount of floating gunk. Mango one has a faint mango taste, the blackberry one is quite sharp. Will update once bottled.

Have you resisted from tasting a bottle of yours so far?

Latest posts

Back