Third brew ive done and think its gone off?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnell88

Reaction score
This is the third brew i have done and i think it may have gone off. It was a cider, and i didn't leave it fermenting long enough and it became so fizzy that it mingled all the sediment with the brew when i opened it. Also it smells really bad. I dont know if that is because the sediment has mixed with the cider, or because i got bacteria in the brew.

Ive drunk several bottles, even though the sediment mad it very cloudy, and i havent been ill.

Can anyone enlighten me on my mistake..

Schnell88 said:
and i didn't leave it fermenting long enough and it became so fizzy that it mingled all the sediment with the brew when i opened it.
I think that you've answered your own question ;)
Best practice is to get hold of a hydrometer and only bottle when you have two readings that are the same when taken a couple of days apart :thumb:

If you've used plastic screw top bottles, it may be worth opening a little to let some of the co2 hiss out. You can then retighten and store for a while to allow to settle out. I'm no expert, but I'm sure one will let us know if I've got it wrong ;)

Back