The saga begins

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avisler

Reaction score
happy day my brew kit has arrived and fully inspected

20241022_151118.jpg

note the disappointment as it contained no treats.

going to start my first brew in the morning i have a geordie lager kit and a caxtons lager kit, not sure which to begin with.
my assigned storage area for the fermenting bin sits at a stable 18.7° on the low end of the instruction temperature so should be okay.

Any pitfalls i should know ?

cheers
john

He’s got some plums on him.

Be clean, be patient, don’t keep poking things and taking measures.

Just let it do its thing for 2 weeks in the bucket and get an old fridge to brew in as soon as you can.

Be a bit careful when transferring the beer to the bottles (or keg) to avoid oxidation. Likewise, do not shake bottles to mix priming sugar! A fermenter with a tap and a bottling stick will make life easier if you don't have one already.

He’s got some plums on him.
Hare says thankyou.

@Bitter_Dave yes got a bottling stick but forgot to get temperature strips so will go with an electronic sensor.

havent decided where to store the filled bottles yet and i think a brew fridge may be a long way off, as my hobby room is becoming a tad cramped.

To mix in the priming sugar, you can just invert the bottles a couple of times. Once they're corked of course. 🤣

Storage this time of the year could be done outside. No need for a fridge. Crates would be helpful though.

Priming sugar easily dissolves and ferments easily without the need for inverting the bottle.

okay so the first batch is done, geordie lager with 1kg brewing sugar at 1.030 sitting at 22.6°. now just have to have patience.

sterilised everything with chemsan including multiple parts of myself, a lid and tap check now goes on the list when swilling the fv.

Latest posts

Back