Tesco apple juice 85p for 4 litres

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just brewed 21litres of this,
started off at 1050. finished at 1010.
its a bit cloudy and sour,.
what's best to sweetener it a bit, and to clear it,
going to to put this in a barrel.
thanks sam.

I think 1010 is still a bit high maybe leave it in fv for another couple of days. I've done a fair few of these turbo ciders and all of them have been around or under 1000.

I bottle all my cider leave to carbonate for a week then put in my shed to cool and after a week or so they start to clear. Hope this helps

Andy

I would expect it to go well under 1.000, all my TC's have done in the past.

If its still cloudy that suggests the yeast is still active, when its finished the yeast will drop out and leave you with a clear cider.

Have you read the "how too" guide in the wine and cider section?

Bit of a heathen for suggesting and somewhat off topic, but have any of you tried dry hopping your TC. I did it for the first time recently and it was amazing!

chrig said:

If its still cloudy that suggests the yeast is still active, when its finished the yeast will drop out and leave you with a clear cider.

I am doing a small 12L batch of this as a tester to decide what to do with the rather large amount of this that I have bought.

For the last four days it has had the same reading of 1.000. It has been fermenting for 12 days at 19-20c and I have some wine still fermenting in the same room so I know that temperature isn't an issue. Would you just wait until it clears and prime as usual or would you be worried about the hydrometer reading?

Thanks for the heads up on this. :thumb:

Went to my local Tesco and put in trolley 1 litre carton of "value" and a 4 pack of the "better" juice. Went through checkout at 65p for value one and 85p for the 4 pack :D

Quickly dumped these in the car and when back in to come out with 48 litres for just over a tenner :clap:

TC for summer here we come.

Jon

I just called in to the Tesco in Shrewsbury and found the Apple juice. After much dithering about trying to work out how much I wanted I just stuck 10 packs in the trolley for a nice even £8·50.

Impulsive, me? Non, never...

MattN said:
chrig said:

I am doing a small 12L batch of this as a tester to decide what to do with the rather large amount of this that I have bought.

For the last four days it has had the same reading of 1.000. It has been fermenting for 12 days at 19-20c and I have some wine still fermenting in the same room so I know that temperature isn't an issue. Would you just wait until it clears and prime as usual or would you be worried about the hydrometer reading?
I would just leave it for about 6 weeks before bottling to let fermentation truly finish and for the yeast to drop out. TC with non-cloudy juice should be perfectly clear. Personally, I drink it flat and last batch just leaft it in the FV for 6 weeks and then started 2l milk cartons out of the tap as needed.

Dave

MattN said:
chrig said:

I've just had a couple for QC. It was bottled just over a week ago and it tastes great. It is crystal clear, quite sharp (I didn't back sweeten it) and absolutely lovely.

Latest posts

Back