TEMP CONTROLLER ON FLEABAY

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsey53

Reaction score
Has anyone bought the temp controller for £12.00 on fleabay from globalcon (nice name eh!)
if so any comments ......its a lot cheaper than the forttex ......

brewing nothing
bottled a mish mash of everything
drinking brupack irish allgrain kit

If you mean THIS, then yes.
It's not in use yet as I'm still in the process of fridge to kegerator conversion.... but Aleman :ugeek: told me it'd be ok. What higher recommendation do you need?

well if the aleman gives it the :thumb: who am i to argue ......its only a few quid anyway , did buy a digi-thermo from them before and it was *****....couldnt get it to reset ...finally reset it against the garage wall :twisted:

Might go for one of these for my other fermentation cupboard, one has a pid, long story, don't ask :oops: and the other a room stat. It is really nice to go in the brewery and see the temperature display, no need to open the door to check. ;)

finally reset it against the garage wall
:lol:

Thats a bit like the guy who said his computer always beat him at chess, but he always won at kick boxing :shock:

They are . .BUT . . . You have to remember that the Live supply goes in one side of the relay and SWITCHED live comes out the other . . . All Neutrals Are Commoned . . . AS is Earth

Aleman said:
They are . .BUT . . . You have to remember that the Live supply goes in one side of the relay and SWITCHED live comes out the other . . . All Neutrals Are Commoned . . . AS is Earth

Now this is where it all falls apart for me. To me the diagram shows power supply going into 1,2 sensor into 3,4 heat sorce coming from 5,6 and cooling sorce from 7,8

So to wire this up I would put mains supply + & - into 1,2
Sensor into 3,4
Heating element + & - into 5,6
Fridge + & - into 7,8

Thats what the diagram suggests to me.

Please enlighten me if this is wrong as I want to build a temp controlled enviroment useing a tube heater and a fridge.

Wiring wise I believe it's Live and neutral into 1 and 2, 3 and 4 like you said are sensor. Then live into 5 and out of 6 to the heater, live into 7 and out of 8 to the fridge compressor. The neutrals are all connected together.

keith1664 said:
Wiring wise I believe it's Live and neutral into 1 and 2, 3 and 4 like you said are sensor. Then live into 5 and out of 6 to the heater, live into 7 and out of 8 to the fridge compressor. The neutrals are all connected together.

Thanks Keith. Just to check Ive understood that.

220v MAINS live into 1,5 & 7
sensor 3,4
All negatives into 2
Supply positives to heat and cooling units come from 6 & 8.

Correct, although what I did was use a splice (terminal block would be fine) to split the live and neutral. That way you're not trying to jam several cables into one small terminal.

keith1664 said:
Correct, although what I did was use a splice (terminal block would be fine) to split the live and neutral. That way you're not trying to jam several cables into one small terminal.

Thanks Keith :clap: . I cant wait to get moved and start building the all new Snail Ales Brewery & Bar :party:

I have one of these (different supplier and it was dearer last year about £14 + p&p)
Dead easy to use, once you wire it up and set the temp up - that is the hardest bit :eek:

I used an old Parallel port switch box that I remove the gubbins from and cut a hole in the front for the unit and a socket on top for the heater (I don't have a cooler so didn't connect it up) used a bit of "chocolate block" to put the mains wire into.
Mains -> block
L -> unit port 1& 5
N-> unit port 2 & socket N
E-> to where needed
Then unit port 6 to the socket L

The sensor just connects to ports 3&4.

I use it to "service" my HLT via a timer on the mains, since it remembers the temp setting when powered up no tampering necessary.

I find it keeps the temp to about 2 deg so fine for my HLT. :drink:

quick question for owner of this...although it says "Dual heating and cooling function" do you have to manually switch the device (by pressing a button or whatever) to get it to change from heating to cooling or will it automatically change over when required like an ATC 800(+)?
thanks.

Having played with mine last night it will do both heating and cooling . . .doesn't seem as versatile as a TC-10 which allows you three options (Heating, Cooling, Heating and Cooling) . . .but that may just be me and my bad reading of the chiniglish manual :roll:

Aleman said:
Having played with mine last night it will do both heating and cooling . . .doesn't seem as versatile as a TC-10 which allows you three options (Heating, Cooling, Heating and Cooling) . . .but that may just be me and my bad reading of the chiniglish manual :roll:

Now im confused again (not hard I know) :D

If I got one of these and wired it up to a heat mat in a fridge wiring the fridge to the unit would it then maintain a constant temp in the fridge by turning the heat mat on when under set temp and the fridge on when over set temp. If it wont do this then can you please tell me what do I need to get to achieve this set up.

It'll do what yo want to do fine Snail . . .If you just want heating then just unplug the cooling side, if you just want cooling unplug the heating side . . . . if you have both plugged in it'll cool when too hot and heat when too cold.

Aleman said:
It'll do what yo want to do fine Snail . . .If you just want heating then just unplug the cooling side, if you just want cooling unplug the heating side . . . . if you have both plugged in it'll cool when too hot and heat when too cold.

Thankyou Sir. What would I do without you :thumb:

beermonsta said:
quick question for owner of this...although it says "Dual heating and cooling function" do you have to manually switch the device (by pressing a button or whatever) to get it to change from heating to cooling or will it automatically change over when required like an ATC 800(+)?
thanks.
No it will automatically switch between them, subject to the hysteresis built in/set.

Latest posts

Back