TC off to a bad start?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
Last year I did my first TC and it was a success, only a 5L batch. With a friend's wedding coming up I thought I'd do a 23L batch. Pitched the yeast last night, still no airlock activity this morning. Should I be thinking about buying an emergency new packet of yeast?

Yesterday was 16L apple juice, 7 bramley apples, 3 jars honey, strong tea. Aeration was by pouring the first 10L or so of juice from a height. Certainly had a decent amount of foaming. Young's cider yeast pitched dry at 20C.

Very frustrating. Any ideas?

TIA

Sugar is the main that feeds the yeast it may be a slow start because of the volume. I would give it 48 hours then either try rousing or re pitch. I use champagne yeast which gives the cider a nice fizz

Cheers all. Acutually it turned out to be a leak round the airlock. Blocking it with some Blutac has yielded a happily bubbling fermenter! I'd also put some yeast nutrient in it prior to pitching, which I forgot to mention in my little recipe.

Latest posts

Back