TC now on the go.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
I'm ging to have a go at my 1st TC batch soon. Now from what I've seen on the web, here & Youtube, some people just add the apple juice & wine yeast, others seem to apple juice ,yeast aswell as yeast nutrient...

I'm a little confused as to what exactly to add in what quantities :| .

Any help please..

I'll be using my only FV which is a Youngs 25L bucket & lid :) .

davesiv said:
concentated apple juice
:shock: :nono: apple juice from concentrate, not concentrated apple juice.
and cider yeast. do not add any sugar. how much are you planning on making?

tubby_shaw said:
concentated apple juice
:shock: :nono: apple juice from concentrate, not concentrated apple juice.
and cider yeast. do not add any sugar. how much are you planning on making?
:oops:
:oops: thats what i ment to say, but i was on the barly wine and imperial stout when i wrote it.

Thanks chaps,

I think I'll be doing a 5L brew. I'm not a big cider drinker, but do want a go at this one. So I should leave the Youngs yeast & yeast nutrient alone & just use a sachet of cider yeast? Hoe much cider yeast? :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
Use the whole packet :thumb:

Thanks TS. They all appear to be a 5g sachet, but most places say it's enough for a 23L / 5gallon bucket? I don't plan on making that much. I'm going to go for 10L, so would half the sachet be enough? I'll be looking for 5 - 6% at the end. :D

Thanks for the replies ;) .

I've got my 10L apple juice & Youngs cider yeast. What OG figure should I be expecting? By just adding the yeast what is the likely alcohol percentage going to be? Would I be ok to add a little sugar..? :cry:

:thumb:

Chucked my 10L AJ in & my OG was 1050, I've since added the yeast, gave the whole thing a good stir. It was an hour & half ago when I added the yeast, I can see some of it on the surface, but nothing appears to be happening :wha: ...

Here's what it looks like, looks a little wavy but's that because I just removed the lid:

Chris said:
Chucked my 10L AJ in & my OG was 1050, I've since added the yeast, gave the whole thing a good stir. It was an hour & half ago when I added the yeast, I can see some of it on the surface, but nothing appears to be happening :wha: ...

Here's what it looks like, looks a little wavy but's that because I just removed the lid:

With a starting gravity of 1.050 you can expect an alcohol content of 6.5% ish :drunk:
If its at about 20C it'll be a seething mass of froth in the morning :D

24 hours before you see the beer bringers doing there stuff.

use the whole packet as this will ferment quicker , and also give better flavour (as opposed to a longer ferment)

thats whats ive learnt from asking basically the same question from master tubby ;)

:thumb: I used a full 5g pack of Youngs cider yeast I got today, combined with 10L of Asda's 4 for £3 apple juice we're on a winner it now seems :party: .

Tubby, I have a stick on thermometer which was reading a worrying low 17oC when I started, but I remembered I took the AJ out of Asda's fridge, so that would explain why it started so low. It's now a comfortable 21 / 22oC on my kitchen worktop.

tubby_shaw said:
With a starting gravity of 1.050 you can expect an alcohol content of 6.5% ish

Thanks :P , but how can you determine the final alcohol content just from the OG? :oops: :D. It's something I've wondered, with still being new to all this :lol: .

Chris said:
Thanks :P , but how can you determine the final alcohol content just from the OG? :oops: :D. It's something I've wondered, with still being new to all this :lol: .

Im also new to this but I use the table below, god knows where I found it I think I'd been on the vino.

Anyhow I use it when racking my fruit wines, 1 week after they've been in the DJ (Tip from Mumsie) I measure the gravity before and after I top up with a sugar solution then add the difference to my Original Gravity to determine my alcohol content after taking my Final Gravity reading.

I could well be wrong as I too am new to this (I don't think I am) but I'm sure one of the more experienced guys can put us right if I am wrong :thumb:

hydrometerreadings.jpg

Thanks Wayne!

I have a leaflet that came with my hydrometer that has a chart, 1050 is showing as a 6.4% alcohol content :grin: , sounds all well & good, I just hope the brew decides to wake up & do it's stuff :thumb: .

Right I got up this morning expecting to see a whole load of frothing going on, I even put 2 towells under the bucket just incase the space above wasn't enough, here's what I was greeted to :( :

It looks to me like it's sort of trying, certainly smells different from last night.

Does this look normal for 15hours in the FV at a steady 21oC?

Back