Swing top bottles - replacement seals on Range bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some Range swing top bottles. The seals are starting to perish and when I tried to replace one I found it very stuck (see pic). Having done an online search i'm wondering if the seals are glued on, thus making them impossible to replace. Anyone else found this? Pic of the top and the replacement seal I have. On the top I've cut away as much a possible....I did think it had stuck with use!!

Attachments

• IMG_20240821_171129_878.jpg
    IMG_20240821_171129_878.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 5
I have some Range swing top bottles. The seals are starting to perish and when I tried to replace one I found it very stuck (see pic). Having done an online search i'm wondering if the seals are glued on, thus making them impossible to replace. Anyone else found this? Pic of the top and the replacement seal I have. On the top I've cut away as much a possible....I did think it had stuck with use!!
Just in case this comes on handy for anyone in the future, I've found these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/VinClasse-...170827584-B003K2AYGA-&hvexpln=74&gad_source=1

I'll buy a pack and report back if they fit and have seals that can be replaced (looks positive for replacement).

That's not cheap though is it compared to a batch of silicon/rubber washers
No, but the seals being glued on is a pain. I haven't managed to get it fully off as yet! There must be a reason they've done it (possibly to sell more tops?). I generally bottle about 10 - 12 in the swing tops (I like the ease of them) and the rest in capped bottles (great for giving away).

The ones I have aren't glued on. Just a snug fit. I swapped one over about a month ago.

Obviously different manufacturers do them differently

If they are glued on, try warming them with a hair dryer or hot-air gun.... Its probably hot glue.

If not WD40 (or paraffin) and a stainless scrubby for the bits.

Noticed a while back, that my 2 dozen Hacker Pschorr swingtops, also have glued on seals. Buying full (on Amazn) seemed more cost effective, than buying empty bottles.

Theose might need seals replacing at some time, so I'd be interested if you discover a good glue removal method.

Last edited:
Noticed a while back, that my 2 dozen Hacker Pschorr swingtops, also have glued on seals. Buying full (on Amazn) seemed more cost effective, than buying empty bottles.

Theose might need seals replacing at some time, so I'd be interested if you discover a good glue removal method.
Quick update.

The new tops I ordered fit the Range bottles and have seals that can easily be replaced. I haven't had time to explore a glue removal solution as yet. If I get anywhere with that I'll report back.

Quick update.

The new tops I ordered fit the Range bottles and have seals that can easily be replaced. I haven't had time to explore a glue removal solution as yet. If I get anywhere with that I'll report back.
I'd never noticed that replacement swing tops were available. Where (in UK) did you find them?

That's what I'd do for grolsch type bottles, where the rubber comes off easily. But with others, if getting the glue off is very difficult or the ceramic gets damaged in the process, it's good to have a source of new tops.
Agreed.
Hence my prior post.

Latest posts

Back