Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to say, now that I added the water, a touch of sugar and chilled some in the fridge, it actually tastes delicious.

Hi after seeing this thread I'm enthusiastic to try a wow more than ever, but I've never made a brew apart from kits before, so if someone knowledgeable can clear up a few things I'd be very greatful.

1 are these all the ingredients you Need(to do it properly)

Juice
Sugar
Water
Yeast
Yeast nutrient
Pectolase
Glycerin
Tannin
Campden tablet
Stabiliser
Fining

Also I see some people using pectin and citric acid but only a few people is there a need for these ingredients, or only with certain recipes?

If your aloud to discuss such things on this forum is there a favourite cheap online retailer that people like to use

Many thanks, mike

Welcome to the forum.

Your list looks complete, use pectolace every time as you don't want a haze in your finished wine, acid is not necessary but you could try it in the future.

If you are buying online take a look at the announcement forum for the members discounts.

You havent listed the equipment you have.

Ive 9 wow on the go atm....im just getting back into the home brewing ( cost of shop wine is shocking ) after reading this thread.

I just made this morning in about 45 minuets, 4 more demijohn

2x 1 x apple and 1 x rgj, strawberry and kiwi, 800g sugar
2x 1 x apple/raspberry and 1 x rgj, and half can of wgj concentrate, 800g sugar

I also got yesterday from the local garden centre a reduced price chardonnay for my carboy i will start in an hour or two.

I already started last week was a cellar 7 5gallon sauvignon blanc which is clearing atm

and also i started last week

1x bannana wine 700 g sugar
2x apple and rgj ( 1 was from asada and 1 from liddl ) 800 g sugar
1x 1 x apple and 1 x rgj, strawberry and kiwi, 800 g sugar
1x 2x pommegranite , raspberry and grape & 500ml pure pommegranite juice - 800g sugar

Its going to be exciting to taste these !

2015-10-16 09.31.13.jpg

2015-10-16 10.02.36.jpg

2015-10-10 17.36.57.jpg

2015-10-10 17.37.18.jpg

That's a lot of bottling work coming up:(

Just noticed your labelling on the DJ's, i use a permanent marker straight onto the glass, it washes of very easily with an oxi bleach when cleaning the DJ's out.

Welcome to the forum.

Your list looks complete, use pectolace every time as you don't want a haze in your finished wine, acid is not necessary but you could try it in the future.

If you are buying online take a look at the announcement forum for the members discounts.

You havent listed the equipment you have.

My equipment should be OK I bought one of the premium 30 bottle kits (buckets, hydrometer etc) plus a degassing whip, auto siphon, dj, vacuvin(degassing), however as it is all for 30 bottles I was thinking I'd use standard 5l water bottles to test the recipes,
Which should be OK right?
Also would it be best to do the first bit of primary fermentation in the 23l bucket, then rack to 5l bottle or should I do 5l to 5l
Thanks for the quick replies guys

If you intend to make a WoW then start with a 1 gallon recipe, RGJ and Apple is one of the best to start with, ferment it in a plastic water bottle rather than a 23 litre bucket as the water bottle will have a smaller base size (sediment more condensed) you will lose less when racking into your DJ. I would only use a 23l bucket for doing 30 bottle WoW's or kits and would rack into similar sized vessels simply to cut down on cleaning/sanitising, you will see enough of cleaning stuff when you come to bottle 30 or more at a time.

If you are not using the FV for anything else you can use it to ferment 5 litres of wine then rack to the 5 litre water bottles for stabilising and clearing, are you fitting airlocks to the bottles?

Just added 2 wow's to the fermenting fridge.

Red Grape/Apple
1l Red Grape (Lidl)
2l Cloudy Apple (Lidl) they were out of clear and this one is my fav anyway.
800g Caster Sugar
1 cup strong tea
1 tsp Pectalose
1 tsp Glycerine
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp Yeast (girvan GV5)

Apple Wine
3l Cloudy Apple (Lidl)
1Kg Caster Sugar
1 cup strong tea
1 tsp Pectalose
1 tsp Glycerine
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp Yeast (girvan GV5)

Going to be away next week so It'll be left in peace until I get back about 10days time. Hopefully it'll be ready to rack by then.
Quick question. When I rack do I top up with water or would clear apple juice or grape juice be better?

Since my previous posts, I have allowed the other demijohns of wine to mature longer. I have discovered that the harshness that I talked about in the first demijohn I tasted was actually the result of it not being mature enough. It was on the cusp of 3 weeks when I tasted it. When I watered it down I thought it tasted good, it became quite a light and refreshing wine maybe 9 percent or so, however when I allowed the other demijohns to mature for another week the harshness was gone and I no longer had the need to water it down, meaning that the alcohol content remained higher and the flavour was stronger.

I experimented with the sweetness in a glass to find what I liked and then added sugar into the demijohn to match it. I found that about 6 teaspoonfuls was roughly sufficient enough for my palate, mixed with a glass of the wine first and the poured back into the container. This amount was just enough so that it accentuated the flavour, taking away any sharpness but was not overly sweet. I tried to get the balance.

In the end I made 12x 5 litre containers of various combinations. I confess that I went a bit mad but this lot should last me a good while. I have still got about 6 demijohns left to bottle and I am happy with the results. Although I haven't tasted them all properly yet, I think the rgj + apple and raspberry one stood out and also a hybrid of various juices primarily rgj + apple peach mango and passion fruit with a bit of apple and raspberry mixed in, also stuck me as particularly tasty when I tasted a sample before bottling.

I've been doing WOW brews for a while now, mainly for home consumption.
Next year I am running a Live Roleplay event for about 80-100 people and one of the things I'm offering is the catering to be part of the whole package deal. This will include all the beer and wine in the fantasy "Tavern" (a scout hut in a big wood, decorated to look like The Prancing Pony...).

Most of the wine and beer will be coming from standard kit (beer) or form WOW recipes I've done in 1 gal, upped to barrel level.

BUT...

I have had a request from one of the players to come up with a "Fire Wine" for his Dwarf character...
(Can't believe I'm typing this...)
He is after a red wine with a "chilli" kick.

I apologise if this has been addressed elsewhere, (not the issue of a strange request from the cast of The Hobbit... the issue of chillies in wine...) but there's so much to read through, I just didn't have the time.

I imagine a dose of chilli flakes at some point in the process would do the job, but I was wondering if anyone here had ever done such a sacrilegious thing... and if anyone had any idea of the sort of quantities of chilli involved and the best point in the process to introduce them.

Thanks in advance.. if this is in the wrong place, admin... please shift it to where it should be.

Cheers.

I just learned from a messy mistake

Keep the drill degassing away from the sides......big hole....lots of fermented wine all over kitchen work top and floor

and if that wasn't the end, the degassing tool broke.....now only has one plastic propeller :-(

Latest posts

Back