Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started 4 DJ's - 2 DJ's of RGJ + Apple juice (1 litre of each per DJ) and 2 DJ's of RGJ, strawberry and kiwi + Apple juice. (1 litre of each per DJ)

166523.jpg
5051413288191_280_IDShot_3.jpeg
130396.jpg

I've done both versions chippy and both are good(says the wife). How much sugar are you adding to these? about 800g?

I have reduced the added sugar to 680g as Mrs Tea could only drink 3 small glasses of the original before nodding off. :lol:

I think I might do the same chippy as my missus is mashed after a bottle with 800g added.
Was there any noticeable difference in taste?

Just notice in my local Lidl they have vitafit 100% apple juice 1.5l cartons for 88p, sugar content is 10g per 100ml.

Im used to making a few kits and have a cellar 7 sauvingnon blanc on the go as we speak.

Ive ordered some wilco DK as on offer at �£4 each ( x 4 )

I really want to try some WOW so Ive bought some store juices today and thinking to try these....

Do you think they will be ok ?

DJ1
2x 1L red grape juice 70% strawberry puree 20% kiwi puree 10% ( ASDA 12.6g per 100ml ) £2.00
680g sugar making

DJ2
1x 1L red grape juice 100% ( ASDA 16.3g per 100ml ) £1.00
1x 1L Apple 100% ASDA £0.60
700g Sugar

DJ3

1x 1L red grape juice 100% ( ASDA 16.3g per 100ml ) £1.00
1x 1L red grape juice 70% strawberry puree 20% kiwi puree 10% ( ASDA 12.6g per 100ml ) £1.00
700g Sugar

DJ4
1 x 500ml Pomegreat pomegranate 100% juice (ASDA 11.6g per 100ml ) £2.50
2x 1L white grape 39%, red grape 15% pomegranate 10% and raspberry puree 5% ( ASDA 9.9g per 100ml ) £2.00
680g sugar

Looks ok, as long as you aim for 1-1.1kg of total sugar you should have a decent strength wine (13%) , from what i've read a few pages back (page 108) the strawberry/kiwi can leave a fair bit of sediment maybe upping the sugar a bit in it to allow for some water added after racking to give you 6 bottles per DJ might be something to consider.

Sky they all should be fine but i have found making them from two bottles of RGJ to a DJ turned out a little bland.

As chewie says the ones with purée in them can throw a lot of sediment, i stopped using the RGJ, strawberry and Kiwi juice because of this, if you look at the sediment in the bottom of the DJ below and imagine the same amount on top and bottom of the DJ you'll get the picture.

20150508_110455_zpsmur4tuks.jpg

First taste of my first attempt:

I put stabiliser and finings into my RGJ and strawberry kiwi today. I could see that it had already cleared a fair bit in matter of five hours so I just poured out a bit into a glass to try. First impressions were: not bad but a little harsh and acidic. I don't think I'd have been able to tolerate it in large volume.

When I made it I did end up adding about 250ml of extra juice to the recipe, because I had some left over, maybe it could have done without it.

I tried mixing a little more water into it in the glass though and also adding half a teaspoon of sugar and it tasted much better. The harshness was gone. I think on that basis that I will do that with the whole demijohn.

Final gravity was .990 - never measured the SG but think it was around 13 percent. If watering it down brings it down a bit that is fine if it makes it go down in a more refreshing way rather than harsh as it was. I can imagine that after a week or two it will improve too, would you say?

Would you agree that watering to a point of making it refreshing is the right course here or does the harshness disipate after a while without it.

Give it a few days in the bottles before you decide if it needs back sweetening, if you want less alcohol use lass sugar, go for 900g total.

okay, I will hold off on adding the sugar. I want to experiment a bit before I decide what to do with the bulk of the wine.

I just tried adding water, tasting and doing gravity readings to a small sample and find that when I have added enough water to bring the gravity up to .995 it tastes pretty decent, without the harsh acidic quality. That is the reading you mentioned I might aim for several weeks ago which makes me think I am on the right track with the additional watering.

Its difficult to say, i have never added water once the second DJ is topped up to the neck and don't get the harshness you describe, what juices did you use?

this was for 1 litre rgj & berries and 1 litre of rgj strawberry and kiwi.

i initially used 854g of sugar, then realised I'd need to add to that for a 5 litre container so added another 90g of sugar and 250 ml of juice a few days later.

I found the original orange juice and white grape juice version a bit nasty (my first ever juice wine), leaving it a week and adding a couple of teaspoons of sugar to each 2 litre bottle made it drinkable (just) i have never made this again and have never made another that was as bad, i guess its down to personal taste.

I think it will be fine with a little tinkering. Its a shame its not possible to taste each others wine to compare.

My thoughts on it to anyone starting out would be to make a plain RGJ and Apple using a tesco/asda/sainsburys own branded juices first and then progress from there, its a good base point that most who have made a WoW can probably relate to, the other ingredients are all in the original WoW video and lastly it is a very drinkable wine that you end up with. A 1 gallon DJ costs very little to make and will help give you a feel for the strength and taste to expect from WoW's.

Lol I'm at the point of giving each one its own acronym now,

GAP (Grape/APple)

RPG (Rgj/PomeGranate)

RAP (Rgj/Apple/Pear)

GRAB (Grape/Raspberry/Apple/Blueberry)

Latest posts

Back