sugar gr/ltr v SG v ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamespatel

Reaction score
anybody know of a table with these three variables in one place?
seems easy to work out the sugar content of a ferment using supermarket fruit juices as the values are on the side of the cartons and the weight of any sugar added.
knowing the gr of sugar per litre how does one calculate the % ABV of the final wine?
many thanks

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14076 The picture 6 posts down should do you.
If you would like the maths, there are 2 ways I believe

1) Say you have

Sugar 1000g =1Kg
Raisins 500g*.666 = 333g (Times the weight of raisins by 0.666 to get the amount of sugar they contain approx)
= 1333g

Divide by 4.5L for 1 gallons that 296 in a Litre,
100 grams in a litre gives 36 points so 2.96 x 36 = 1.107

But that is sugar to the gallon so you have 1 Gallon of water and you have now added 1333g of sugar to it increasing the volume so therefore decreasing the reading slightly.

2) To do sugar in the gallon, ie having 1333g of sugar and adding water up to the gallon mark so using less water I use ferm calc http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermcalc/fermcalc_applet.html.

Click on the sugar tab then select the option "Specify the H20/Sugar additions". Now 1Kg of sugar displaces 600ml of water so you know that the maximum water you will be using is 3.9, so enter 3.9 Litres in starting volume then say 1.3kilograms or 1333grams in the sugar. Check your resulting volume, it will probably be over 4.5 Litres so now bring your staring volume down number by number until you get the resulting volume more or less on 4.5 L and then switch your resulting SG from specific gravity to potential alcohol and there you have it.

Hope I have explained that ok, if not then ask.

And more experienced members, have I got that correct the In and the To gallon part?

HLA91

For future reference (I didn't go trolling through the links) 1 kg sugar will incease the gravity of 1 ltr by 360 degrees (1.360).
IE 1 kg in 5 ltrs will increase the gravity by 72 degrees (1.072).
Just a bit of gratuitous info. :)

Yes Jim, he's already said that:
HLA91 said:
100 grams in a litre gives 36 points
Actually, you had mentioned that 360 points to me some time previously, but 1.360 is just silly numbers. That made more sense to me after Dunfie had explained something about LDK values, I think I converted it into a more usable form when I divided things by 10, I passed that on to Harry at some stage and the lad's got a good head on his shoulders, tell him something once and he's usually got it.

Latest posts

Back