Strange aftertaste in my IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
folks I just kegged an IPA I brewed a few weeks back and used novalager for the yeast. The hops Used were 22IBU fuggles at 60 mins, 8 IBU of Celeia 10 mins and 27g Celeia and 27g Williamette at flameout..

I had 3 litres left over which i force carbonated before trying a sup... it has an overpowering aftertaste of Liquorice .

is this taste likely to be from the hop schedule or is it an infection?

I think this is classed as a phenolic taste. Often caused by chlorine in water or too high a fermentation temperature. There are lots more possibilities, a google search will give you them if you search for licorice or anise aftertaste in beer.

I think this is classed as a phenolic taste. Often caused by chlorine in water or too high a fermentation temperature. There are lots more possibilities, a google search will give you them if you search for licorice or anise aftertaste in beer.
the water was charcoal filtered and i used a small amount of Potasium metabisulphide to make sure so Im sure its not chlorine. i have done this loads of times and its always fully dechlorinated the water. The chracoal filter is still effective
As for temp It was in a fementation fridge at a steady 18C.. So Im struggling to work out how its phenols.. but ill delve deeper into the subject

Sounds like Esters. Im wondering if the novalager has taken the wort temp way higher than was good for it.. despite the fermentation fridge being set at 18C

It could be Clove taste that is a little like Liquorice which is a by product of chlorine in the water.
Or it could be a infection.
Is the beer clear or is it a little cloudy or where there any signs of pellicles on the top?

It could be Clove taste that is a little like Liquorice which is a by product of chlorine in the water.
Or it could be a infection.
Is the beer clear or is it a little cloudy or where there any signs of pellicles on the top?
its a bit cloudy, looks like a hazy ipa.. Also after fermentation it looked like it had a light sprikling of what i can only describe as a floating, yeast coloured gravel , very grainy. But it didnt spread or multiply I assumed it was just what was left of the fermentation froth.

think I got it.. it is indeed chlorine.. i just poured some into a pint glasss, gave it a swirl and a sniff , and yep it stinks of chlorine..
two weeks before i brewed I changed the filter cartridge as I was tasting it in my tea.
seems the filter aint working as well as it should have..

Back