Storing My Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there.
For the first time in years I am going to make a budget 5 gallon kit wine (Solomon Grundy Cabarnet Sauvignon). However due to a recent addition to my family (a grandson) space in my abode is now very much at a premium. My problem is that the space under the stairs where I used to store my wine rack is now out of bounds. I was then wondering if the wooden shed in my back garden could be brought into use. If for example I built a plywood or chipboard box lined with polystyrene with my wine rack inside. Would this be suitable for keeping my wine at a suitable temperature during a cold winter and a warm summer.
Look forward to reply ty.

I don't know if an insulated box would do the trick but these are the temperatures you need to aim for -

The perfect temperature does depend on a variety of factors, including: how much fruit, alcohol and tannin the wine contains. As a general rule of thumb wine should be stored around 11-14˚c (52-57°F). Wine storage temperatures should never go over 24˚c as otherwise wines begin to oxidise and this negatively affects the wine

https://www.wineware.co.uk/wine-preservation/winewares-wine-storage-temperature-guide

Just as a side note. I've done Solomon Grundy kits a few times. Love them. I have a white and the red going at the moment.

One word of warning, the reds always seem to ferment with a huge yeast foam. And always end up with me rigging up a blow of tube.

Edit for pic.

I had to pour some out of the demi last night as it was going mad. So used the jar as the blow off.

IMAG0016.jpg

I store mine under the stairs
I live in a new build so it's ****, but the wine lasts ok

My shed is sheltered from direct sunlight and wind. I stack the bottles horizontally in a cupboard, close together with the necks opposite and interlocking. This is known as a 'bin' and is the traditional way of storing bottles of the same vintage for maturation. After a year, the wine (pinot noir) tastes very good.

Latest posts

Back