Storing Kegs for Later Use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Woods

Reaction score
I generally brew one beer after another so the new brew is ready to go into the fridge on gas straight away but I now want to have a brew or two ready in waiting - especially as I brew outside and want to do maybe 2 or 3.

So the last brew was kegged and purged then giving 35psi and stored in a fridge at 7c.

Having just hooked it up there was no pressure left (after a week in the fridge) so assuming as the beer was cold the gas was absorbed - so was wondering is it OK to leave like this till ready for use - should I not have cooled it? is it better to keep topping it up? - this would be a pain!

What would be the best method of keeping kegs till I need them.

Any advice would be great.

The gas is in the beer or the keg is leaking, what i do is purge the keg set at 30psi for half a day then turn it down to 15psi and leave it hooked up to the gas, i then turn it down to 10 psi for serving, i never turn the gas off

Have you considered no chill and storring unfermented wort until you want it to ferment a couple of weeks before your going to want to keg and drink it?

Sorry if I misunderstood your question but may be a 'safer' way to store several brewday outputs

Have you considered no chill and storring unfermented wort until you want it to ferment a couple of weeks before your going to want to keg and drink it?

Sorry if I misunderstood your question but may be a 'safer' way to store several brewday outputs
I do no chill for my brews anyway so this may be the way to go - not sure how long I could keep the brews "on ice" so to speak until ready to use.

Thanks

I have been lagering in keg for 2 weeks with no gas top ups. They end up presumably with no pressure but it hasn’t been a problem. I would give it a go, if you can hold a steady temperature there should be less risk of breathing by expansion and contraction.

I am sure I read a long time ago that the Aussies successful keep it for months ! Mine normally lasts overnight!

'cubes' I think were invented by the Aussies. These & kegged beer (with positive pressure) will both keep for months if done properly.

This will probably have the purists twitching but for typical British style ales before I've transferred them to the keg, pressured and purged it a few times to get the lid to seal properly, on the final purge / pressure left it for a minute or so at 40 psi, then disconnected it and left it in my garage at ambient until I have space in the keg fridge. If I'm at critical mass this could be over a month later, sometimes more. Once it is ready to go in the fridge I'll let it chill for a day and then carbonate it for serving.

Beer has always tasted fine to me, but I get that an extra hoppy IPA might not be quite so good with this sort of treatment.

Latest posts

Back