Storing beer between fermenter and keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry454

Reaction score
Hi guys

So I have built a kegerator which holds 3 x 19l corny kegs for beer. I’ve built a separate kegerator which holds 2 x 19l corny kegs of white and rose Prosecco / wine for the wife.

Giving that I only have 3 kegs for the beer I would like to be able to ferment another 3 batches of beer and store it for at least a few months until the corny kegs become free. So I can simply sanitise a keg when it becomes empt, fill up, carbonate and I’m ready to go again.

Instead of a keg becoming free, having to brew a batch of beer and waiting to refill it. It would just be nice to have a constant supply of beer in storage for when a keg becomes free. I do this with wine and it works absolutely fine.

Does anyone have any advice on how to store freshly fermented beer for around 6 months prior to kegging and carbonating? I did try this with a batch of beer in a 5 gallon plastic carboy but it turned dark brown after a couple of weeks and oxidised!

I’ve considered possibly adding a valve to a plastic Demi John just to purge the air out, maybe this would help it keep fresh and not oxidised? I’m assuming I could store the beer at like 5psi with this method. Don’t really want to spend the money on pressure barrels just for storing the beer uncarbonated.

Storage ideally which doesn’t require the fridge would be great!

Latest posts

Back