Stainless Conicals

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casbar

Reaction score
Having done some extensive research, I have decided to import some stainless conicals from China. I have been talking for some time now with an engineering company in China. Spoke to a company called Dayu engineering but discounted them, after discussions on a US forum I use.

My question is, I need to import a certain number to make the order up, I am having one and a mate is having one, but that leaves a few I'm going to have to sell. This is not an advert as I haven't ordered them yet, but which size do you guys think would be the most popular. The two sizes I am interested in, are 37ltr and 65ltr.

Thanks, Rob

Thanks, I was thinking of 37ltr for myself as I use cornies. But I can also see the advantage of having the 65ltr, so I could ferment two cornies worth at the same time

65L. But I would be a tad wary of quality coming from china...

Looked at the Quality issue. The only issue seem to be the quality of the welds. Most people seem to be worried about bacteria in the welds, yet after doing my research, it seems the company I'm looking at has sold over 200 units to the USA and Australia, yet no one has complained about sanitary issues. Though if you read the Blichmann site, they state weldless, stops bacteria, it might do, but if you sanitise as you would any brew kit, there doesn't seem to be an issue - good marketing though!!

Price wise, the chinese conicals come with a blow off tap already fitted, which you pay an extra £115 for on a Blichmann conical, so if you take into account the blow off, I would expect the 65ltr to be about £200 cheaper, if you discount the blow off, they will be around a £100 cheaper. Haven't worked out all the costs etc yet, as they will be delivered to a UK port, and I'll have to move them from there and pay the import duty and tax.

If anyone knows of someone who has had issues with conicals from China, I would like to know, before I order.

Cheers

That Blickmann gear looks very tasty, don't know about the Chinese stuff but they can make most things well these days, but alast even those will be out of my price range :)
Someone please put me right, I appreciate the beauty, but I am a bit agricultural, so plan to put my 15 gallon brews into three 5 gallon buckets in a heated insulated cupboard with a stat,to make it all happen ;) . How do you deal with conicals like the ones mentioned in winter :?
Think if I go this route it will be along the lines of

http://hbd.org/brewniversity/engineering/conical/

But need to have the heat thing sorted in my mind first ?

Not an expert, but from what I've read, others seem to either put them in a cupboard or I believe upto 65ltr ones will fit into a larder fridge, you can then temp control with something like a TC10 and a green house heater.

The chinese ones I've seen and that 'homemade' one look like they would accept a jacket nicely which would provide insulation to keep it warm and would have a coolant circuit in it to keep it cool, thermostatically controlled.

Looked at the Quality issue. The only issue seem to be the quality of the welds. Most people seem to be worried about bacteria in the welds, yet after doing my research, it seems the company I'm looking at has sold over 200 units to the USA and Australia, yet no one has complained about sanitary issues

I have looked at the Chinese conicals along with several other forum members, with quotes to import. The main point of concern is the welds and also the quality of the sheet steel. The problem with the welds is pitting, and it doesn't matter how well you sanitise, if you have a pin prick in a bubbled weld you won't be able to clean it proprerly. You could always grind it out, but someones already been paid to do that! Some sheet steel products have imperfections running all the way through the thickness of the sheet leading to rust.

I'm quite sure there are fabulous Chinese manufacturers out there. The better ones will send you close ups of the welds in situ, those who have inferior products won't. The problem is once the item has landed here...if it's faulty/sub standard....you're not going to send it back, are you ?

Regards the size, I'd like a 100ltr working volume, so probably 125ltr + actual volume.
I would imagine the most popular size would be 37ltr

Keep us informed as to how you get on, and if you can get any pictures please post them for us to look at :thumb: ...good luck :cool:

There is cross over on topic

Latest posts

Back