Splitting 2-can kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK117

Reaction score
Hi All

A lot of people are raving about the Wilko Golden Ale at £12.50 odd for a two-can kit.

Has anyone got experience of just using one can and either:

• Not adding any fermentables and brewing very short to 10L or so
  • Adding fermentables and treating as a 1-can kit.
I see this as a good opportunity to muck about with dry hopping at a very low cost.

Cheers!

I think the 2 can Golden Ale kit will be a brilliant base for dry hop experiments. I say just do the whole lot as the chances of it going seriously wrong are minimal. Any hop you add and in any quantity will be OK, I would suggest.

You can even do a hop tea with half and dry hop the rest.

I'm leaning towards doing just one tin and brewing to half the length. I've got 60 odd pints conditioning at the moment as it is!

Just need to get myself some more hops now..

I suggest Cascade or similar and a hop tea 25-30g for a 5g batch. You're only going to have to do the other half some time - why not now, is my approach.

I've done a similar thing in reverse. I used 3 cans from two kits, topped up to 30 litres giving an o.g. of 1.053 which should ferment out to around 5.7%. I used both sachets of yeast and I plan to brew the single can in the spring to the standard recipe to give 4%, that's if I don't decide to buy another kit and use 3 cans again.

I'm currently drinking the results of the 2 can kit brewed short to 18 litres dry hopped with Citra. It's only been in the bottle for 2 weeks and it's perfectly respectable. I'll be throwing some hops in the current brew too, thinking of Amarillo or Cascade or both.

Latest posts

Back