Something wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvo

Reaction score
Brewed a Harris premium lager and it fermented well so i transfered it to a second fv and added the finings. left if for couple of days and its pretty clear tastes ok too but it has lots of little bits
just suspended below the surface. Anyone have a clue what it could be?

I've had that happen too, the gunk clumps together but doesn't fall.

I got around it by wrapping a piece of old stocking (washed and boiled) around the sediment cup of my syphon tube, held on with a cable tie.

Liam: I bottle or keg direct from Primary.

i usually bottle from primary with the beers but i had a go at making a peech hooch last week (was a disaster) and when i transferred to secondary as instructed i didnt use a syphon just my filling stick on the primary fermenter inside the secondary as far as it would go down (lesson learned) probably 4 inches from the bottom and whilst transferring it must of incorporated air as it was full of bubbles that didnt move.

im guessing the trapped air that got incorporated into the brew infected it as it tasted vinegary after. live and learn i guess.

Well it tasts ok so tomorrow ill do what moley says and use a stocking.transfer to corney store it and hope for the best.
I brewed an edme lager today anyway and i have 2 stouts on the go to so at least ill have more to drink :drink:
Thanks for the replys guys :thumb:

It hadn't quite finished fermenting and some of the fining clumped together and trapped CO2 making it buoyant . . . . It'll settle out in the corny

Aleman said:
It hadn't quite finished fermenting and some of the fining clumped together and trapped CO2 making it buoyant . . . . It'll settle out in the corny

makes sence now Aleman cheers :thumb:
I would never of guessed that tho because the gravity was 1.006 and i didn't think it could get any lower :oops:

The other possibility is that dissolved CO2 in the beer has become trapped . . .Same result different source . . . . I had it with my Turbo cider . . .. with good finings once you transfer to keg or bottle they soon settle out as they have had a good mixing . . . My TC is now crystal after a couple of pints from the keg over the last couple of days

I've had it happen with finings, I bottled too soon after adding the gelatin.
Had to use a very fine tea strainer avery time I opend a bottle :oops:

Latest posts

Back