Some silly questions about brewing “wild” beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
I’m getting a nice stainless steel pressure fermenter for my birthday at the end of the month, which means I’ll have 2 fermenters I probably won’t use.

I plan to sell my Fermzilla, but was thinking of using my white plastic fermenter for “sours”.

I know I’ll need to keep the fermenter separate and use it only for sours, but does the same apply to kegs and beer lines/taps?

Corny I’m assuming I’ll need a new one just for sours, but my local craft bars serve sours and non-sours so was wondering if they have dedicated taps or whether the purple line cleaner does enough to kill wild yeast?

I keep a separate keg, disconnects, and line for sour/brett stuff. Tap I'm not so bothered about as any clean beer I run through won't be in contact long enough to become "infected" and you can boil the stainless parts for peace of mind.

I've posted this before. I've re-used corny kegs that have had Brett in, for clean brews with no issues. As long as you strip them down to clean, have a good regime it should be OK. Going longer and hotter always improves efficacy.

IMG_u299z8.jpg

Milkthefunk is always a good resource.

https://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Quality_Assurance

I keep a separate keg, disconnects, and line for sour/brett stuff. Tap I'm not so bothered about as any clean beer I run through won't be in contact long enough to become "infected" and you can boil the stainless parts for peace of mind.
Excellent, thanks! I’ve been really inspired by one of my local breweries (Holy Goat) and Philly Sour just doesn’t hit the same 😂

Back