Solar pump voltage control?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested too. As I have plenty of fixed 12V 3A DC power supplies lying around doing nothing, adding an LED dimmer for a few quid to get a variable speed control for the solar pumps would be great!

My concern is that these dimmers have a PWM output (this means it switches the output between 0V and 12V at varying rates to give, on average, a variable voltage). This is not the same as a true variable voltage output.

The question is, does this matter for the solar pump? This is getting outwith my electrical engineering experience, but I suspect that if the PWM is at a high enough frequency, something with the frequency response of a motor coil probably doesn't care (or in other words, it so sluggish that it will effectivly average the PWM out and it will look like a true variable voltage).

Be interested in other folks experience...

BrotherMalice said:
Thats the one I bought, when i first got my pump, works fine. And a lot cheaper than making one :clap:

As an ex-electronic engineer that was what I wanted for motor control - pwm - rather than a crude voltage control. this way the motor gets 12V all the time it is active (might only be for part of a second though!) and so works to max efficency.

Just note it is only for the 12V pumps not the 24v ones that are also floating about.

Latest posts

Back