Solar pump voltage control?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorrie

Reaction score
How do you do it?

I know sodall about regulators, pots, convertors or whatever they are. What do I need to plug into a 240v supply to enable me to control the voltage/speed of the 12v Solar pump?

:wha:

Thanks for the replies, guys. Can anyone link to the unit mentioned on Fleabay? I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right ones.

Tis all the work of Beelzebub to me.....

Cheers Evanvine, that's the sort of thing I had in mind, I must have missed the 12v gadget when I looked on there. Worra Muppet. :roll:

Not sure if i understand correctly, but i have a 12V 3000mA transformer and after looking online to find out the wattage it said 3000mA equals 3 Watts?
Now according to solar shop site the have a variable power supply 3.5 - 12V @ 1500mA and they state theres is 18 Watt? (from site - Rated at 1500mAmps (18 Watts) so suited to any of the SP range of pumps. )
Any idea which is correct? i was going to use mine with one of those 12v dimmer switches to control flow etc. Not tried it yet as didnt want to whack too much power through it.
:whistle:

The pump with only take what is required, think 1.5amps is about right, there is a formula to work it out but I don't know it, lol

Watts = amps x volts

Or amps = Watts/volts

So 18 watts / 12volts = 1500mA :) your 3Amp one should be easily fine, I have a 2Amp transformer connected to a LED dimmer.

Volts, amps and watts can be confusing. The important thing to remember is that the voltage must always be correct but the amps can always be more than the device requires, in this case our little pump.

If it's a 12v 18w pump then to work out the amps required simply divide 18/12 = 1.5 Therefore your power supply must be 12v and at least 1.5A, 1500mA is the same.

The pump will only draw 1.5A not matter what the size of the power supply. Danger comes if you use one that's too small, the power supply could easily burn out.

Almost right with your formula's there Cyclops but the bottom might need an edit ;)

Latest posts

Back