Sediment In Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonlpearce

Reaction score
Have done 2 brews now, both Pilsners.

The first was ok, a little yeasty, but i figured this was because i bottled too quickly and because the fermenting temp was uncontrolled so could be anything from 16 to 20 deg. Either way there was a LOT of sediment in the bottles.

Second brew i listened to advice. Left if in the FV for about 2 weeks until fermenting had stopped, then left it another week for good measure, moved it to secondary for another week in the warm, then into the cold for a week before bottling. It bottled nice and clear, yet after 2 weeks in the warm the bottles have again a fair amount of sediment at the bottom and it still tastes a little yeasty after a quick sample. I'm worried that after a week or so in the cold the yeasty taste will still be there...

Is there something i am doing wrong, or am i just being impatient and i should leave the bottles longer to condition.

Will i ever get to the stage where i can pour a bottle without worrying about leaving a quarter inch at the bottom? Also what am i dong wrong to cause the yeasty flavours?

Unfortunately or fortunately. you are making bottle conditioned beers. That is they rely of yeast converting a little sugar into gas in the bottle to carbonate your beer. As a result a little sediment will always be present in the bottle.
However by giving it time in the bucket and getting your beer as clean as possible BEFORE you bottle the deposit will be minimal, and with today's yeasts it usually forms a firm layer that is not easily disturbed.
You will have to learn the art of pouring a bottle of beer.... :D nice and steady in one motion stopping when you get to quarter inch or half inch from the bottom.
If that waste worries you...open another bottle home brew is cheap enough.

piddledribble said:
If that waste worries you...open another bottle home brew is cheap enough.

Or save it in a 2 ltr pop bottle and give to a friend with an allotment/large garden. Slugs can't get enough of that yeasty beer dregs, a jam jar filled with it will soon become the restaurant/deathpit of choice :lol:

I think i have the pouring bit down, and its good to know that i will never get rid of a thin layer.

What about yeasty flavours, am i bottling too soon, or am i drinking too soon after bottling?

I have to admit the first batch i started drinking after about 2 weeks in the warm and a couple of days cold...

You need to leave it a month or so. Usual rule of thumb is 1 week in cool and then 1 week for every 10 gravity points in the cold, so a 1040 beer needs 1 week warm and 4 weeks in the cool. The yeasty beer though just may be the brew and the yeast used.

Yeah it seems like a really long time doesnt it, especially on your first few brews :)

But it is really worth it, the taste changes daily / weekly and usually does get better and better ;)

There's nothing to stop you 'sampling' every day though.... you can tell the improvement. :drunk:

I did that with my first kit, the Wherry, only problem was that by the time that it would have been nicely conditioned, it had already been squaffered :cool:

So basically im just going to have to brew more beer, so that i have soooo much of the stuff that i cant drink it as quick as it takes to condition :drink:

simonlpearce said:
So basically im just going to have to brew more beer, so that i have soooo much of the stuff that i cant drink it as quick as it takes to condition :drink:
You got it in one :thumb:

simonlpearce said:
Thats it!!! :cheers: :drunk:
I will be on with my third brew in about as many weeks later today, one ale, one lager and one stout. All in the aim of getting so far ahead of myself by the time i start running low i will have enough time to re brew and leave it alone!!!
It really is the hardest bit in all this home brewing lark, im not an alci, but im on the waggon for January and having to leave it alone is doing my nut in!!! :sulk: :lol: :lol:
KC. :thumb:

simonlpearce said:
You can't imagine how hard I laughed at this! I feel exactly the same way! I'm considering buying a new FV next week or so just so i cant stir my head away from diving into my recently bottled (January 7th) first brew any sooner than February. And bear in mind my second brew went straight to the FV as soon as I bottled the first and cleaned the gear. I guess I'm just bug bitten.

Same here, brewing my second lot, already planning my 3rd and considering a second FV, worried about running out before I've even drank a drop, will be glad when I got something I can drink that I've made myself!!!

Back