Screw top wine bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so ive ordered my new caps from bobsbeer, ive cleaned the labels off my bottles (much more work than beer bottles!!), the wine is clearing in the shed.

Sounds good.

Apart from how the crappin hell do you remove the old metal neck bit?? Ive already lost two fingers and a knife trying to remove just one? Ive got 120 to do!!

There must be an easy way to remove them??

I use a nut pick. Start at the top and ease under the sleeve stretching it then push under and it splits as you push down the neck. Be careful when you get to the end. It is only made of thin aluminium. If you are doing loads then don't forget to recycle.

I use a staple extracter and it works a treat. No danger of cut fingers either.
Also on the subject of awkward to remove gluey residue from wine labels (another post i know) a product called Sticky Stuff Remover is excellent - as are indeed Bob's screw caps.

Stan

Stan63 said:
Also on the subject of awkward to remove gluey residue from wine labels (another post i know) a product called Sticky Stuff Remover is excellent - as are indeed Bob's screw caps.

Stan

This is excellent, I use it all the time for stubborn labels/residue :thumb:

I use an old camping knife to remove the metal, and paraffin to remove the label residue.

Paraffin is basically outdoor lamp fuel, I buy it to clean motorcycle chains but you could use white spirit to similar effect. Can use WD40 too, but that is pretty much just white spirit with some oily bits added and costs much more.

Naturally, clean the bottles afterwards.

Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find bobs beer or buy some screw caps online?

Thanks in advance

I use a pairing knife, cut away from me and do it over a bin so I don't have to touch the removed metal.

Latest posts

Back