Scottish newbie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lium

Reaction score
I just started brewing my first ever beer on Sunday! I have drunk a lot of beer in my time... but not brewed my own. Have tasted friends' efforts and was impressed.

Fingers crossed!

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

What part of Scotland and what is your first brew?

Moley said:
Welcome to the forum :cheers:

What part of Scotland and what is your first brew?

I'm living in Edinburgh. There's a new homebrew shop here called Alba (Which is by the way the Gaelic name for Scotland, pr. A-la-ba) so that in part prompted my first brew.

I'm not sure how well my brew is going - no bubbles coming through the valve, but I'm told gas might be escaping through the lid as it is not 100% airtight apparently.

Anyway, I didn't give the brew a good stir when I sprinkled in the yeast (stirred it plenty before) and I'm wondering if that is part of the reason for seeing less activity than I expected. I'm going to open it tonight and give it a good stir and take a hydrometer reading. (just got it, hence no initial reading)

There is a bit of froth on top and going up the edge of the bucket just above the liquid.

lium said:
Alba (Which is by the way the Gaelic name for Scotland, pr. A-la-ba)
A good anthem by Runrig too :thumb:

If you've got froth on top, it's working, so be careful stirring it or it may overflow.
Airlocks on buckets are generally a waste of time.
What brew is it?

Moley said:
lium said:
Alba (Which is by the way the Gaelic name for Scotland, pr. A-la-ba)
A good anthem by Runrig too :thumb:

If you've got froth on top, it's working, so be careful stirring it or it may overflow.
Airlocks on buckets are generally a waste of time.
What brew is it?

There's plenty of room at the top. The stuff is Young's Harvest Mild - planning to bottle it and have saved up plenty of bottles... was quite an effort but someone had to do it!

Not particularly relishing sterilising and rinsing 40-odd bottles... so if anyone's got any tips on how to speed up the task I will gladly take them.

I foolishly didn't rinse some of the bottles when I drank the original beer and some had mould in them - I washed them when removing the labels so I hope they will be OK. I didn't have a brush that would reach the bottom of the bottle.

what i tend to do is half fill a 5 gallon fv with warm water and add milton sterilising tabs then submerge your bottles in it as many as you can for 20 mins and you dont have to rinse them happy brewing. :cheers: :thumb:

I just set up a bit of production line by the kitchen sink. I'm not comfortable not rinsing the milton solution out as it does have a stromg smell :?

dribble a little bit of milton into each bottle, fill each bottle with hot water, empty bottle out as filling emptied bottle with cold water and empty.

Whole process takes maybe 20 minutes or so. You are then left with 40 wet but clean bottles. At the moment I prime them all with sugar at this stage, but next brew I'll be either syringing in a sugar solution to each bottle, or if I have aquired another FV I'll do the batch prime method as is demonstrated elsewhere on this forum...

I have a little bottler which makes a huge difference to the speed of bottling the beer, then capping time. Job done :mrgreen:

BigYin said:
I just set up a bit of production line by the kitchen sink. I'm not comfortable not rinsing the milton solution out as it does have a stromg smell :?

dribble a little bit of milton into each bottle, fill each bottle with hot water, empty bottle out as filling emptied bottle with cold water and empty.

Whole process takes maybe 20 minutes or so. You are then left with 40 wet but clean bottles. At the moment I prime them all with sugar at this stage, but next brew I'll be either syringing in a sugar solution to each bottle, or if I have aquired another FV I'll do the batch prime method as is demonstrated elsewhere on this forum...

I have a little bottler which makes a huge difference to the speed of bottling the beer, then capping time. Job done :mrgreen:

What's a little bottler?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-Little-B ... b2f9cbcd76

it attaches to a tap at the base of the FV.

It's a rigid tube with a needle valve at the bottom.

You offer up the empty, sterilised, bottle so the tube goes down the neck of the bottle, when the needle valve hits the bottom of the bottle the beer flows out, when it reaches the neck of the bottle you lower the bottle and the flow stops.

When you take the bottle away, the beer drops down in the bottle by the equivalent volume of the tube, leaving a perfect 'head space' in the bottle to allow expansion as CO2 builds once the cap is on.

My attempts at syphoning the beer were, er, messy. With this I get a few drips. I position the dogs bowl underneath the tap and let them clean the drips up :lol:

BigYin said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-Little-Bottler-Bottling-Stick-Syphon-Beer-NEW_W0QQitemZ220444670810QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=126449246005&rvr_id=126449246005&cguid=dc09797e1250a0aad592f1b2f9cbcd76

it attaches to a tap at the base of the FV.

It's a rigid tube with a needle valve at the bottom.

You offer up the empty, sterilised, bottle so the tube goes down the neck of the bottle, when the needle valve hits the bottom of the bottle the beer flows out, when it reaches the neck of the bottle you lower the bottle and the flow stops.

When you take the bottle away, the beer drops down in the bottle by the equivalent volume of the tube, leaving a perfect 'head space' in the bottle to allow expansion as CO2 builds once the cap is on.

My attempts at syphoning the beer were, er, messy. With this I get a few drips. I position the dogs bowl underneath the tap and let them clean the drips up :lol:

Looks a very handy tool - not sure if it is easily attached to my fermenting bucket though... I would have to make a hole in it... probably wise only to attempt after I've emptied it!

BigYin said:
well, yes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I got mine supplied with the tap - needed a drill (34mm ?? ) to cut the hole in the FV.

Will probably give that a go the next time I make a brew.

I have a lager one but I've read that you need to ferment it somewhere cool, i.e. in a shed in October type temperatures... is that so?

Latest posts

Back